Cardinal Greenway to host National Trail Day 5k, trail cleanup

<p>The Cardinal Greenway features different hiking trails that connect from Richmond to Marion, Ind. and have different trail heads throughout Muncie.&nbsp;<em>SAMANTHA BRAMMER // DN FILE</em></p>

The Cardinal Greenway features different hiking trails that connect from Richmond to Marion, Ind. and have different trail heads throughout Muncie. SAMANTHA BRAMMER // DN FILE

Still trying to achieve summer body goals? The Cardinal Greenway will be hosting an event this weekend to help get the community active.

In celebration with National Trail Day June 3, Cardinal Greenway decided to host a 5k race/walk and trail cleanup.

“The first thing we want to do is make people aware of the trail," said Mary Tankersley, administrative assistant in communications. "We want them to know what a fantastic trail we have right here."

This is the second year that the Greenway is participating in National Trail Day and the path's 62 miles makes it the longest rail-trail in Indiana. The day will start at 7 a.m. on Sunday at the Wysor St. Depot where registration for the race will take place.

Runners will start the 5k race at 8 a.m. and walkers will follow shortly after at 8:10 am. It costs $20 to take part in the 5k, or $10 for students, and children 5 years old and younger are free.

The race's proceeds go toward maintenance and upkeep of the trail, which spans from Marion through Muncie to Richmond. 

Also in celebration of National Trail Day, a cleanup of the Greenway will begin at 9 a.m. followed by a volunteer appreciation picnic at 11 a.m.

“The problem is you have this beautiful trail and there are many people using it, but people forget that it has to be maintained,” Tankersley said.

To join the Cardinal Greenway in celebrating National Trail Day you can register to run or walk on their website or by calling 765-287-0399, but registration will still be open Sunday morning.

Tankersley encourages community members to participate in the weekend event. 

“I think the number one reason would be to support the trail in our community because it is such an asset," she said.