Muncie Animal Care offers adoption special this weekend

There was a line out the door at the Muncie Animal Shelter on June 23 as people waited to see dogs and cats up for adoption. The shelter is offering $5 adoptions Friday and Saturday in hopes to give over 300 animals new homes. Reagan Allen // DN

Animal shelter information

Address: 901 W Riggin Rd, Muncie, IN 47303

Phone: 765-747-4851

In an effort to address the high population of animals in their care, the City of Muncie Animal Care and Services Department will be hosing a $5 adoption special Friday and Saturday.

Just this month, the shelter has accepted more than 300 animals and now the staff is eager to find homes for the animals as space is limited.

"We are hoping to send numerous pets home to their forever families," said Animal Care and Services Director Phil Peckinpaugh in a press release. "The shelter is currently running over capacity and we are being forced to turn away owned pets. Summer is a great time to adopt and we hope the community takes advantage of this opportunity."

As of Friday morning, all of the available dogs have been adopted but there are still cats available for adoption for a one time fee. All animals are sterilized, current on age appropriate vaccinations and microchipped.

The shelter will be open Friday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturday from 12-3 p.m.