Ball State track and field wins pair of individual conference titles

<p>Sophomore Regan Lewis runs up to the high jump pit runs the during the Ball State Challenge on April 15 at Briner Sports Comlex. Lewis finished second in high jump. Teri Lightning Jr., DN</p>

Sophomore Regan Lewis runs up to the high jump pit runs the during the Ball State Challenge on April 15 at Briner Sports Comlex. Lewis finished second in high jump. Teri Lightning Jr., DN

Ball State track and field won its first individual conference championship in five years after sophomores Peyton Stewart and Regan Lewis were victorious in their individual events on Saturday afternoon.

Lewis' individual title came in the high jump. Her 1.82m high jump qualified her for the 2017 NCAA Division-l East Preliminary Round for the track and field championships on May 26. Her jump put her in an early 17 spot for the events with the current qualifying leader marking a 1.88m high jump.

Stewart won the 100 meter dash with a time of 11.55 seconds, good a personal record and the fourth-best individual time in program history. Her time also put her in the running for the NCAA Division-l East Preliminary Round Qualifying List, but she was a little over one-tenth of a second from qualification.

As a team, Ball State took 11th place out of 12 teams at the Mid-American Conference Championship, finishing with 25 total points. This was the Cardinals first time since 2009 that they won two events at the MAC Championships.