Messineo, Boyd accept new positions at Ball State

Melinda Messineo and Delaina Boyd have been chosen to take on new roles at Ball State.

In a university-wide email Acting Provost Marilyn Buck announced that Messineo accepted the position of interim associate provost for diversity and Boyd accepted the position of interim associate vice president for community engagement.

Messineo, former chairperson of the Department of Sociology and associate professor of sociology, has been active at Ball State since joining in 1999. She served for many years as the director of Freshman Connections, as chairperson of sociology since 2012 as well as a diversity associate with the Office of Diversity.

Melinda Messineo. Ball State // Photo Courtesy
Delaina Boyd. Ball State // Photo Courtesy

The new interim associate provost for diversity is also the recipient of the Lawhead Award in Teaching, the Excellence in Teaching Award twice, Outstanding Teaching Award and the Schnabel Teaching Award from the North Central Sociological Association, according to bsu.edu.

Boyd, former director of the Office of Community Engagement, joined Ball State in 1990. Since her time at the university she has served as the director of business development and was part of the teams that launched programs such as the Building Better Communities Fellows Program, Northeast Indiana Area Health Education Center and the Building Better Neighborhoods initiative.

In 2015, Boyd was one of the leaders that worked toward the university's achievement of the Carnegie Foundation's Community Engagement Classification.

Both Messineo and Boyd will be working with Charlene Alexander, associate provost for diversity and interim associate vice president for community engagement, prior to her retirement after serving in the role for 20 years.

RELATED: Associate provost for diversity Charlene Alexander announces retirement from Ball State