Geoffrey S. Mearns to take on first day as Ball State's 17th president

Geoffrey S. Mearns talks to Charlene Alexander, associate provost for diversity and director of office of institutional diversity, after the ceremony on Jan. 24 in the lobby of Sursa Hall. Breanna Daugherty // DN

University spokesperson Joan Todd confirmed that Mearns will earn a starting salary of $450,000 per year as president at Ball State, which is the same amount former president Paul W. Ferguson received when he was hired.

Today is the day. Geoffrey S. Mearns officially begins his role as Ball State's 17th president.

"I am honored and excited to join this university community," Mearns wrote in a university-wide email. "One of the reasons I came here is that I share the values that distinguish Ball State: excellence and scholarship, academic honesty, social responsibility, and the intrinsic worth of every member of the community."

Mearns has been planning Ball State's future even before his tenure began. In his first speech to the university on January 24, when the Board of Trustees appointed him to president, the then Northern Kentucky University president said getting to know the university community was one of his primary goals. 

But before he can lead, he must learn, Mearns said.

“I need to learn; I need to learn much more about your university and I need to learn more about you,” Mearns said. “So when we meet … I will ask you two simple questions. What do you think I need to know about your university and this community. And secondly, what do I need to know about you?"

RELATED: Ball State's 17th president brings experience, ready to work with university

Since then, in an interview with The Star Press, Mearns emphasized the importance of learning about Ball State’s strengths and shortcomings. One of his first actions as president will be to create a new strategic plan that will succeed the Centennial Commitment the Ferguson administration put together.

RELATED: Twitter reactions to Ball State's 17th President, Geoffrey S. Mearns

Mearns will be spending his first day as university president by taking a campus tour, where he will walk alongside Charlie Cardinal and visit multiple colleges for a chance to meet Ball State students and staff.