Festival, 5k and walk raises awareness for autism

<p>Courtesy of Interlock</p>

Courtesy of Interlock

MUNCIE, Ind. – Interlock’s 11th Annual Interlock Autism Awareness Fest raised more than $10,000 this past Saturday at the Delaware County Fairgrounds.

Interlock is a non-profit organization that provides support, education and resources to individuals and families affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder.

More than 400 people were in attendance for the first-ever Interlock 5k Race for Autism. Runners braved the rainy weather for a good cause with a course including Minnestrista, Muncie Central, Cardinal Greenway and downtown Muncie.

A festival followed the race. It included a silent auction, resource fair, free food and games for the entire family to enjoy.

Arrick Garringer, an Interlock board member, says he was pleased with the turnout for Interlock’s primary annual fundraising event.

We don’t really have a great way to forecast attendance. It’s often dependent on weather among other things,” Garringer said. “But I was pleased to see families come out to support a really important cause and celebrate in a judgement free environment.”

Interlock says it serves more than 200 families in in East Central Indiana. To donate, or to learn more about Interlock and next year’s “Autism Awareness Fest”, visit www.interlockin.org/event/autism-fest/ or call (765)-215-3591.