What to do at May's First Thursday event

<p>Jessie Fisher // Photo Provided</p>

Jessie Fisher // Photo Provided

Take a break from studying for finals and venture to downtown Muncie this Thursday for the First Thursday event.

1. The Atrium Gallery 

Starting on campus, the art gallery located in the Atrium will be hosting a closing reception from 4 to 6 p.m. called the "Spring 2017 BFA Exhibition," which features student work. The students and their art medium include: Canaan Gootee (sculpture), Cristin Amber Drake (metals), Noelle Wiegand (glass), Lexi Musselman (painting), Finley Norris (drawing), Clayton Burns (glass), Sarah Lassiter (photography and intermedia arts) and Alyssa Bruss (photography and intermedia arts). Free admission.

2. Canan Commons

A class from Ball State’s family and consumer sciences department will be presenting its “Spring into Art” activities. The group will offer a bounce house, face painting, chalk art and fun house mirror photo opportunities. There will also be live music.

3. Cornerstone Center for the Arts

Leon Crosby will be revealing his new art show “Synthesia” at Cornerstone Center for the Arts. The show focuses on using art to display emotions that are felt while listening to music. Crosby works as a visual arts instructor at Cornerstone and also volunteers at Sutton Elementary School. Doors open at 5 p.m. and the event will last until 8 p.m.

4. Mark III Taproom

We're Trying Collective will be unveiling the design for its downtown mural during a cocktail hour from 7-9 p.m. at Mark III Taproom. Weather permitting, the group will project the design onto the south-facing wall of Mark III. The collective recently reached their $10,000 fundraising goal and will begin the mural on May 13 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. during its Community Paint Day.

5. Grace Episcopal Church

The Grace Episcopal Church will be offering an evening of free organ music played by the Muncie Chapter of the American Guild of Organists at this Thursday’s event. Members of the chapter who will be playing include Ball State faculty member Rebecca Burkart as well as many student organists, including Peter Douglas, Sunwoo Lee and Ben Weaver. Doors open at 5 p.m. and the concert will begin at 7:30 p.m.

6. Moore-House Historical Museum

The Moore- House Historical museum will be opening three new exhibits Thursday. The first will showcase the artwork of Muncie artist Eugene Mumaw. The second will pay tribute to America’s entry into World War I; the exhibit will feature uniforms, photographs and more. The third new exhibit will display works from the Delaware County Historical Society, including tatting, embroidery and crochet.

7. Muncie Public Library

At the Muncie Public Library, visitors will have the chance to get their photos taken, as well as get a mini-lesson from instructors in Adobe Photoshop. The event coincides with another the library will be hosting on Tuesday that focuses on helping adults network and connect.