PREVIEW: Ball State track and field travel to Illinois to compete in Illinois Twilight

<p>Sophomore Regan Lewis runs up to the high jump pit runs the during the Ball State Challenge on April 15 at Briner Sports Comlex. Lewis finished second in high jump. Teri Lightning Jr., DN</p>

Sophomore Regan Lewis runs up to the high jump pit runs the during the Ball State Challenge on April 15 at Briner Sports Comlex. Lewis finished second in high jump. Teri Lightning Jr., DN

This Saturday, Ball State track and field travels to Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, to compete in the Illinois Twilight.

Most teams in the meet are from Illinois, including Illinois, Chicago State, Illinois State, Eastern Illinois and Bradley University, though Dayton will be there competing as well.

The Cardinals are coming off of the Ball State Challenge, where they won two events and had 22 Top 10 finishes and 10 career-best performances. They posted a 4-2 dual record, finishing behind Mid-American Conference rivals Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan.

Last weekend, sophomore Regan Lewis, sophomore Peyton Stewart and freshman Maritza Rodriguez were the talk of the meet.

Stewart is the second Cardinal student-athlete to earn herself a spot in the MAC Outdoor Championship in the 100m dash with automatically qualifying with a time of 11.74.

On top of that, she came in first place and beat her career best she set for herself at last year’s Ball State Challenge and is now second in the MAC.

Lewis cleared 1.76m in the high jump. Despite the second place finish last weekend, she moved into second in the conference. Her jump is also the fourth-best individual effort in Ball State’s history.

Rodriguez was the second of the two to get event wins when she came in first place in the 5000m run and finished with a time of 18:32.82. Her closest opponent, IUPUI, was almost 10 seconds behind her when she crossed the finish line.

The Cardinals had a great meet last weekend and plan on carrying that momentum into this weekend’s meet at the University of Illinois.

Ball State will be competing Saturday. Throwing events start at 3 p.m. with the women’s hammer throw. Jumping events start at 4 p.m. with men and women’s long jump. Track events start at 4 p.m. with the 3000m steeplechase.