Music and Memory to host fundraiser for Alzheimer's, dementia patients

<p>The&nbsp;Ball State chapter of&nbsp;Music and Memory&nbsp;will be hosting its first annual "Rolling for the Residents" event on April 22 at the&nbsp;Liberty Bowl in Muncie. Proceeds of the fundraiser will go towards purchasing iPods for&nbsp;Alzheimer's and dementia nursing home patients. Ball State Music and Memory&nbsp;// Photo Courtesy</p>

The Ball State chapter of Music and Memory will be hosting its first annual "Rolling for the Residents" event on April 22 at the Liberty Bowl in Muncie. Proceeds of the fundraiser will go towards purchasing iPods for Alzheimer's and dementia nursing home patients. Ball State Music and Memory // Photo Courtesy

Registration at the door begins at 12:30 p.m. and is $10 per person. The donation includes three games and shoe rental. 

If students wish to participate and do not have a team of four, they can be placed on a team at the fundraiser. 

As many as 5.1 million Americans may have Alzheimer's disease, according to Alzheimer's Foundation of America.

Dan Cohen founded Music & Memory's parent organization in 2006 with a simple vision in mind. When Cohen thought of living in a nursing home, he wanted to be able to bring his music with him.

The basis of the organization is to bring Alzheimer's and dementia nursing home patients music via iPod.

"They love it. It's like they're taken back in time," said Atalie Klumpp, president of Music & Memory at Ball State. "They start to remember things about their parents or if their spouse is deceased or something, they'll remember some happier time."

To help reach more patients at The Woodlands, Bethel Pointe and Signature HealthCARE of Muncie, the Ball State chapter will be hosting its first annual "Rolling for the Residents" at 1 p.m. today at Liberty Bowl, 1115 S. Liberty Street.

The goal of the fundraiser, Klumpp said, is to host a large event while still educating students and members of the community.

"We have a variety show in the fall and then the bowling fundraiser in spring ... just because it's more fun to have big events like that, rather than standing on a corner and being like, 'give us money,'" Klumpp said. "I think it kind of gives people more of a chance to sit down and learn what we're about."

The organization will collect funds through bowling participants. Half of the donations collected will go toward purchasing iPods and the creation of playlists for patients, the other half will go to a 50/50 raffle.

In addition to the raffle, there will be a silent auction featuring various Muncie businesses such as Sunshine Cafe and Escape Muncie.