For student, duckling fits the bill

Riley Duggan and Frank, his pet mallard duck, cool off by the Frog Baby fountain on April 26. Grace Ramey // DN

A new bird on campus might ruffle the feathers of Charlie Cardinal.

Frank, a mallard duckling, gained popularity on Twitter when owner Riley Duggan’s English class conducted a viral marketing campaign competition between two sections.

Duggan’s class featured Frank, jokingly asking students to make him the new mascot of Ball State.

“He doesn’t do much,” the freshman accounting major said. “He’s just a duck. He just eats, poops and looks cute.”

Duggan believes Frank “imprinted” upon him because of the way they bonded immediately.

Frank’s life with Duggan began on an impulse when his girlfriend had the idea to buy two ducks in a bundle deal from Tractor Supply Company in Muncie.

They only wanted one duck, though.

“We were on the interstate and there was super bad traffic, standstill traffic. And Kara, she was showing everyone the ducks, and someone was like, ‘How much?’ And we were like, five bucks,” Duggan said. “So we parked the car and got out and just sold her a duck on the highway.”

Duggan is not sure of Frank’s sex yet but refers to the duckling as “he” nonetheless. In the case that he grows female-colored feathers, Duggan will just call the duck Frankie.

Right now, Frank lives with Duggan’s girlfriend in her apartment off campus, but that doesn’t mean Duggan is separated from him.

And when Duggan carries him around campus, it’s like a celebrity has arrived.

“He literally just sits in my hand and I’ll just walk around," Duggan said. "People will be like, ‘Oh my God, he has a duck?' Everyone loves him.”

Because Duggan bought Frank at such a young age, he is not scared of people, and he even loves to cuddle, be pet and swim in Frog Baby’s pond.

Duggan said it is not difficult to care for Frank, who is potty-trained to kitty litter and lets the person holding him know when he has to go.

“Sometimes he’s just stretching, sometimes he’s pooping,” Duggan said. "But I don’t take the chance.”

If Frank gets too big to take care of, Duggan plans on giving him to a farm. For now, Duggan and Frank’s relationship is going swimmingly, and Duggan plans to be with Frank for years to come.