David Letterman's mother dies at age 95

<p>Dorthy Mengering, the mother of Ball State alum David Letterman, has passed away at age 95, according to <a href="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/obit-dorothy-mengering-dead-795160">Hollywood Reporter</a>.&nbsp;Mengering was a “correspondent” for Letterman’s show at three Winter Olympics &mdash; in 1994, 1998 and 2002. Variety&nbsp;// Photo Courtesy</p>

Dorthy Mengering, the mother of Ball State alum David Letterman, has passed away at age 95, according to Hollywood Reporter. Mengering was a “correspondent” for Letterman’s show at three Winter Olympics — in 1994, 1998 and 2002. Variety // Photo Courtesy

Dorthy Mengering, the mother of Ball State alumnus David Letterman, has passed away at age 95, according to The Hollywood Reporter

Letterman, who graduated from Ball State in 1969 and went on to host "Late Night with David Letterman" on NBC and “Late Show with David Letterman” on CBS, featured his mother on the show from time to time. 

Mengereing was born on July 18, 1921 in Indiana and lived in Carmel. She married Letterman’s father Henry Joseph Letterman in 1942, and after he died in 1973, she remarried Hans Mengering in 1983.

Mengering was a “correspondent” for Letterman’s show at three Winter Olympics — in 1994, 1998 and 2002. She also made regular appearances before Thanksgiving and Mother’s Day, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Mengering also wrote a cookbook, “Home Cookin’ with Dave’s Mom,” which was published in 1996.