Reports of James Whitford leaving Ball State started with 'inadvertently published' ESPN article

Head coach James Whitford strategizes during a timeout in Ball State’s 88-80 loss to Fort Wayne. The Cardinals were eliminated from the CollegeInsider.com Tournament. Colin Grylls // DN

An ESPN report of Ball State men's basketball coach James Whitford being hired by Duquesne has been retracted.

After an "editing error," ESPN published an article claiming that Whitford was hired to replace former Duquesne head coach Jim Ferry.

Whitford posted a 52-71 record in his four seasons at the helm. In the last two seasons Whitford led Ball State to 42-27 record and two Mid-American Conference West Division titles.

He also recruited redshirt sophomore Tayler Persons after Persons decided to transfer from Northern Kentucky University. After sitting out a season becuase of NCAA rules, Persons averaged 15.5 points and 5.0 assists per game as the starting point guard in Whitford's second 20-win season. 

When the original ESPN story ran, Persons was quick to his keyboard.

There are, however, reports that Whitford is interviewing for the Duquesne job, but The Daily News has not been able to independently confirm. Duquesne, a member of the Atlantic 10 Conference, posted a 27-39 record in the last two seasons and graduates only one player this season.

According to the Star Press Ball State employee salary database, Whitford is earning $286,083 in the 2016-17 academic year. According to a 2012 ESPN article, Ferry's base salary at Duquesne was $600,000 per year.

Whitford's contract runs through the 2020-21 season after he signed an extension last summer.