Emmy award-winning STOMP to perform at Emens

<p>The group “STOMP” will perform at 7:30 Thursday in Emens Auditorium.&nbsp;The musicians in STOMP use everyday items to create rhythms. Kristi Chambers // Photo Provided&nbsp;</p>

The group “STOMP” will perform at 7:30 Thursday in Emens Auditorium. The musicians in STOMP use everyday items to create rhythms. Kristi Chambers // Photo Provided 

What: STOMP performance

When: 7:30 p.m. today

Where: John R. Emens Auditorium

Tickets: $29.50 at Emens box office

Making music doesn’t always have to involve instruments. To prove it, the group STOMP will perform at 7:30 today in John R. Emens Auditorium.

The performance is part of the group's 2017 North American Tour. Kristi Chambers, assistant director of marketing and communications at Emens, said there were several audience requests for the show to return after its performance in 2012.

“Throughout its life, the show has continued to change by creating new material. This year, it will incorporate two new pieces,” Chambers said.

The musicians in STOMP use everyday items to create rhythms. Chambers said in an average week, the cast uses 30 brooms, 288 liters of water, two gallons of floor paint, 20 pounds of sand, 10 garbage can lids and more.

STOMP has won an Emmy Award for its HBO special “STOMP Out Loud” and made appearances at the 2012 Olympic Games closing ceremony in London, the Oscars, "Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood" and "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

“It is safe to say you will never again look at supermarket carts or plumbing fixtures the same way,” Chambers said.

The show at Emens starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $29.50 and can be bought at the box office. Additional dates for the 2017 North American Tour can be found here.