10 things to do at First Thursday this month

Tribune Showprint has one of the nation's largest collections of moveable type. The shop opened their doors to the public on Feb. 2. Brynn Mechem // DN

This Thursday, students and community members are invited to downtown Muncie, as well as to Ball State’s campus, to experience a variety of art, food and activities at the First Thursday event. Here are some things to check out this week. 

The Atrium Gallery

Ball State’s Atrium Gallery will be extending its hours on Thursday for visitors to see its 82nd-Annual Student Art Show. Since 1935, Ball State’s School of Art has put its students’ works on display, giving out cash awards to those with the finest pieces of art. The gallery will be open at 6 p.m., and the show’s award ceremony will begin at 7 p.m.

Forever Young Children’s Boutique

Abby Wagner, who is a watercolor painter from Selma, Indiana, will be doing a live painting at the Forever Young Children’s Boutique from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The store will also hold a sale, with 10 percent off of new spring apparel.

Gordy Fine Art & Framing Co.

At Gordy Fine Art & Framing Co., Kim Anderson will be displaying her new ceramic work, while Scott Anderson will display his new paintings and drawings. The artists will be introduced at 6:15 p.m., and light refreshments will be available.

Grace Episcopal Church

The Grace Choral Scholars, a group of singers from Ball State’s School Music, will be performing their show “Let Our Voices Be Heard” at the Grace Episcopal Church. Featuring solos, duets, trios and quartets, the concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. The church’s art gallery will also be open to the public beginning at 5 p.m.

Made in Muncie

Eugene Boyd, Muncie native and Cornerstone pottery teacher, will be revealing his new show at 5 p.m. at Made in Muncie this Thursday. Comprised of works of wheel-thrown pottery, the show will be on display throughout the month of March.

Madjax Muncie

Tom Walker, who has more than 20 years of experience in the design field, will share his letterpress work at Madjax Muncie this Thursday. Book Arts Collaborative, located in the Madjax building, will also be inviting visitors to to create their own prints. Guardian Brewery will be at Madjax, as well, serving pints of beer to individuals 21 and over.

Muncie Civic Theatre

Curators Jim Waechter and Mike Mavis of the Delaware County Historical Society will be presenting a special display of Eugene Mamaw’s works. Mamaw created each poster and playbill cover for the Muncie Civic Theatre from the 1970s until the 2000s.

Muncie Makes Lab

Muncie’s Maring-Hunt Public Library has teamed up with Ball State architecture students to expand the library’s community gardens. To learn more about the project, visitors are invited to Muncie Makes Lab to view the group’s master plan for the gardens.

Savage’s Ale House (21+)

Artist Daniel Ragsdale Combo will be displaying his new works at Savage’s Ale House. The works will include creative portraits in a variety of media, including graphite, colored pencil, watercolor, acrylic and oils.

Studio Exhale

At Studio Exhale, photographer Kip Shawger and makeup artist Robert E. Dirden will be presenting their new show entitled “Beauty Through the Lens,” highlighting different styles of makeup and body art.