Swipe right

Whether in sincerity or in jest, people often declare that romance is dead. Rapid technological developments transform the ways we communicate, but digesting the impact this has on romance is a whole different ballgame. Practices once customary for previous generations may seem archaic to a fast and forward-thinking Millennial.

Match Made Online

Sarah Schlosser is a sophomore and elementary education major at Ball State University. One ordinary evening, Sarah was mindlessly swiping through Tinder profiles. She had been using the app for about a year and was, essentially, just hoping to meet new people. Her shy nature made an app like Tinder seem like the perfect way to talk to others in her area.

When Paul DeRolf, one of the profiles who landed in Sarah’s match list, contacted her outside of Tinder, she didn’t read too much into it. She was talking to a few other Tinder matches at the time, and interacting with guys online never made her too anxious. Paul was cute and funny, so when he asked Sarah on a date to Scotty’s Brewhouse, she answered with a resounding “yes.” They became a couple two months after that first date and are still going strong today, more than a year later.

The use of online dating apps has become somewhat of a norm, especially over the past decade. According to Pew Research, 59 percent of adults in 2015 said online dating is a good way to meet people, up from 44 percent in 2005.

To continue reading, visit ballbearingsmag.com.