RECAP: Ball State women’s tennis vs. Youngstown State

Freshman Rebecca Herrington hits a forehand during her doubles match against IUPUI on Feb. 19. Emma Rogers // DN

An afternoon of high-quality tennis from both teams saw Ball State women's tennis prevail 5-2 over Youngstown State.

Back at the Northwest YMCA after a brief foray outside to Cardinal Creek Tennis Center last week, Ball State seemed to pick up right from where they left off. Audrey Berger and Julia Sbircea blitzed into a 3-0 lead on court two. It was easy pickings for them early on and although they ran into some turbulence, the pair saw the match out 6-3 against Youngstown State’s Imaan Hassim and Sofia Macias.

The same could be said for Isabell Dohanics and Toni Ormond. The team looked strong on court three and worked well together to power past Dominika Lackova and Monique Belovukovic 6-2 to give the Cardinals the doubles point. Rosa Calderon and Rebecca Herrington couldn’t stop a formidable Penguin pairing of Ana Stroe and Noelly Longi Nsimba from winning the match 6-4.

In singles play, Carmen Blanco lost 7-5, 7-5 to Lackova. Dohanics began her match well on court two by winning the first set 6-1. But the Penguins’ Nsimba found her serve and for the rest of the match, the players slugged it out to end up in a match-breaker situation. It was just as tense and high-quality as the rest of the game, but Dohanics fell 1-6, 7-5, 11-9.

Herrington continued her winning form as she beat Stroe 6-3, 6-0. Berger carried on the lightning pace she helped set in the doubles and flew past Hassim 6-1, 6-1 in just over 30 minutes. Ormond also had a strong showing on court three where she beat Macias 6-2, 6-3.

Out on court six senior Rosa Calderon returned to the singles line-up with a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Nehel Sahni. After a great start, Calderon went down 5-2 in the second set. However, she went on to win five games in a row to avoid a match-breaker and secure the win for Ball State.

The Cardinals travel down to Tennessee next weekend as they look to improve on their 2-2 away record compared to their 6-0 record at home. They play the Belmont Bruins at 11 a.m. March 4 in Nashville before heading to Murfreesboro where they’ll face Western Kentucky University at 1 p.m. March 6.