RECAP: Ball State track and field places 9th at MAC Indoor Championship

The Ball State track and field hosts the only home indoor meet of the season in the Field Sports Buidling on Feb. 17. The Ball State Tune-Up included teams from Fort Wayne, Western Michigan, and Wright State. Kyle Crawford // DN

Ball State results day 2

60m hurdles

First: Jazmin Smith — 8.43

Third: Jasmine Harris — 8.51

High jump

Second: Regan Lewis — 1.81m

200m dash

Fourth: Bryeana Byrdsong — 24.93

60m dash

Seventh: Bryeana Byrdsong — 7.71

Mile run

13th: Brooke Talhelm — 5:04.87

14th: Peyton Kneadler — 5:05.56

Weight throw

17th: Adrienne Mayfield — 15.87m

4x400m relay

Eighth: Amber Jones, Olivia Ashba, Peyton Kneadler, Gabby Sims — 3:49.96

Ball State track and field finished ninth in the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championship. It earned 37 points this year compared to its  score of 11 points last year.

Sophomore Jazmin Smith earned the Cardinals 10 points with her first-place finish in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.43 seconds. She was Ball State's first individual indoor champion since the 2009 season. Freshman Jasmine Harris was close behind her and finished in third place with a time of 8.51 seconds.

"It was really good from momentum for Regan to place well in the high jump," head coach Brian Etelman said.

Regan Lewis scored second in the high jump with 1.81 meters high. She broke the Ball State record by .03 meters.

"She has been jumping at that bar for a while now and we are happy she got it this year, especially in the MAC," Etelman said.

Freshman Bryeana Byrdsong finished fourth place in the 200-meter run with a time of 24.93 seconds. She also got seventh place in the 60 meter dash at 7.71 seconds.

Byrdsong was only one point away from being freshman of the year.

"Byrdsong did a really great job," Etelman said, "She was a little disappointed, but getting that close to the top was a great accomplishment."

Ball State was seven points away from getting fifth place. 

Etelman said he and the team are looking forward to the outdoor season which begins