Ball State senior balances school work, volunteers at fire department

Matthew Pinter, a senior criminal justice major volunteers at the YorkTown Fire Department as a firefighter and an emergency medical technician. Stephanie Amador // DN

More volunteer info: 

• They are sworn in upon completion of their training
  • All applications should be turned in by the time of the call-out meeting
  • They generally accept applications at the meeting until they have five to seven applicants — at that point, they arrange a full class 

The beeping of alarms alert people every day to take action. For most students it means get out of bed or don't be late to class. 

Alarms, however, mean something entirely different to Matthew Pinter — a Ball State senior and volunteer firefighter. 

To those who have been in contact with the Yorktown Fire Department in times of need, the volunteers are regarded as heroes. 

The firefighters, however, don’t see it this way.

Pinter, a criminal justice major, is one of the many who do it to help people, not for a hero status. 

“A lot of people are like, 'oh you guys are heroes' and stuff like that but no one thinks they're heroes," he said. "We all do it just cause it’s our job and we enjoy helping other people.”

The Yorktown Fire Department is composed entirely of volunteer firefighters of different ages and life stages.

Some, like Assistant Chief Benton Strunck, are volunteering and maintaining a separate career, while others have to juggle school and shifts. To submit an application, volunteers must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or a GED.

Pinter has been volunteering at the fire department for two and a half years. 

His original plan was to major in computer science, but that was before he experienced what life as a firefighter was really like.

During his freshman year, Pinter wrote a paper for an English class that required him to spend time with different fire departments studying what they did and what their jobs are like.

After visiting three fire departments in his hometown of South Bend, Muncie’s fire department and a fire department in Columbia City, Pinter knew that it was time to change his major.

"I got to go on a couple ride alongs and saw what they did and really enjoyed it, so I could see myself doing that one day," he said

Along with switching his major, Pinter looked into firefighting and eventually came upon the Yorktown Fire Department's Facebook page. He ended up filling out an application and is now working toward being a career firefighter.

Pinter was originally worried about balancing his school and volunteering, but that did not discourage him. 

Volunteers can choose an hourly shift, where they must be at the station for at least four hours of their choice between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., or commit to making 20 percent of the calls. 

All of the firefighters, regardless of their scheduling choice, must also do at least two overnight shifts per month, where they stay at the station from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Pinter soon found out it was easy to balance his two commitments and even prefers to do his homework at the station.

"We've got computers here, if you say you're studying for something people will leave you alone." Pinter said. "I haven't had trouble balancing it at all."

He also enjoys the time he gets to spend with his fellow firefighters. Typically, they hang out, watch football and play video games together in their down time.

The bond Pinter has with the other volunteers at the Yorktown Fire Department has only strengthened with time. He often finds himself wanting to be at the fire station on a Friday night instead of out partying.

"We've got bunk beds here and I will sleep here whenever I can," Pinter said. "It just, in my perspective, it’s worth it more."

This atmosphere can change with the simple sound of an alarm. As soon as the firefighters hear it, they spring into action and make quick decisions while putting on their gear.

"There's a lot of different emotions going on, your adrenaline is pumping like no other," Pinter said. "You're thinking of all kinds of things, whether there is people inside or outside, what your job is dependent on what truck you're in."

Each fire truck is specialized for different situations. For example, Engine 63 is able to store a large amount of water while Engine 61 holds less water but more people.

The decision making does not stop once they are in the truck. 

Once the firefighters are on the scene, they have to respond to whatever danger is present.

They respond to a wide range of calls that include heart attacks, car crashes and house fires. Because of this, firefighters have to go through a large amount of training.

Volunteers at the Yorktown Fire Department are required to take eight hours of hazardous material or hazmat training, a 40-hour basic firefighting class, two college-level firefighting courses and have a first responder certification.

Some also choose to get an Emergency Medical Technician certification.

All of this training begins immediately after call-out meetings for new volunteers and is paid for and provided by the fire department. 

Even after this, volunteers are expected to keep their skills sharp. Every month they will have a refresher meeting to train for firefighting and a meeting for medical training.

Pinter enjoyed training, and often joins to help new volunteers training or jumping in on their courses. 

He also enjoys the training he gets from each situation he is called to help with.

"Every call we go on there's a learning opportunity, whether it’s learning from guys who have been on the department for 20 years or teaching the new guy that’s been on for a few months," he said.

Whether they are a student or have a different career entirely, each firefighter takes their job seriously.

Strunck, for example, works for Ball State's purchasing services as material handler supervisor as well.

Neither Pinter nor Strunck ever thought they were going to be firefighters, but they both found they had a passion for helping people. It is for this reason that they encourage everyone to look into volunteering.

"I think it's really rewarding, but then it’s not for everyone," Pinter said. "We do see a lot of things that the normal person couldn’t handle."

To find out more or volunteer for the Yorktown Fire Department, visit their Facebook page.