Ball State fraternity to to host Valentine's Day blood drive

With the motto “friendship is essential to the soul,” one would suspect that Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Upsilon Beta Chapter would host this year’s Valentine’s Day blood drive.

The blood drive will be held today in Pruis Hall from 11 a.m to 4 p.m.

Members of Omega Psi Phi Inc. will be helping with the event by getting students and faculty registered, handing out snacks for those who donate, sharing information on donating blood and recruiting more people to donate around campus.

The Omega Psi Phi chapter at Ball State is closely related to the American Red Cross because early member Dr. Charles Drew discovered the techniques necessary to store blood plasma and later founded blood banks. During his career, he was named the director of the first American Red Cross Blood Plasma Bank for his development and research in the field.

Around 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed in the United States every day, as well as 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma, according to an American Red Cross fact sheet.

In recent months the decline of donations have left hospitals in short of supply, increasing the need for donors. The donations students and faculty provide can possibly save a community member's life.

Statistically, “Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs a lifesaving blood transfusion,” said Elizabeth Pratt from healthline

This statistic shows the need for active donors at all times.

Chapter President Paul Penn said their blood drive service event is, in part, inspired by former member Dr. Charles Drew.

”Omega Psi Phi serves communities around the globe and we attempt to live up to this standard.” Penn believes it is their duty to continue his Dr. Charles Drew's legacy, and help the community with blood donations.

The blood drive is not just a reason for Omega Psi Phi to get their name out — it is a way to potentially save lives. 

“This cause is not about how this may benefit us. It is totally about how we can support the Ball State Community and potentially save lives," Penn said. "That is very inspiring and a reason to celebrate.”

During homecoming week the chapter hosted another blood drive. They are hoping to have a good turnout on Valentine’s Day.