DINNER FOR 2ISH: Spicy peanut noodles

Editor's Note: Emma Rogers and Tyson Bird are senior journalism majors who write "Dinner for 2ish" for the Daily News. Their views do not necessarily agree with those of the paper.

We started cooking together in the summer of 2015 and have planned and cooked a dinner every week since. Our recipes are often inspired by the New York Times’ cooking website but are adapted to fit Muncie availability and a college budget.

You probably already have all of the ingredients for these spicy peanut noodles. It's a great way to add protein and extra flavor to a simple pasta dish. The sauce is ready as soon as the pasta is!

Spicy peanut noodles

Ingredients:

• 1 box spaghetti
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar 
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes (more if you like things really spicy)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced

Directions:

1. Cook the spaghetti as directed on the package.
  2. While the noodles cook, combine all of the ingredients in a large pan or bowl (we used a pan so we could do this over low heat).
  3. Carefully scoop about 1/2 cup of pasta water from the cooking noodles into the sauce. The peanut butter should start to melt.
  4. Transfer the pasta (we used tongs) into the skillet and stir until smooth and creamy. Top with red pepper flakes.

Note: This Dinner for 2ish doesn't reheat well. The first serving was smooth and creamy. Our leftovers, though spicier, had a chalky texture. This could probably be solved with a little olive oil, but we would recommend finishing this in one serving. It shouldn't be difficult.