2017 Oscars: What you missed

<p>The 89th Academy Awards ceremony was held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, California, on Feb. 26. The event &nbsp;was&nbsp;presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to honor the best films of 2016.&nbsp;<i style="font-size: 14px;">Fanboys Anonymous // Photo Courtesy</i></p>

The 89th Academy Awards ceremony was held at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, California, on Feb. 26. The event  was presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to honor the best films of 2016. Fanboys Anonymous // Photo Courtesy

Full list of winners:

Best Picture- "Moonlight"

Best Actor- Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea"

Best Actress- Emma Stone, "La La Land"

Best Supporting Actor- Maherhala Ali, "Moonlight"

Best Supporting Actress- Viola Davis, "Fences"

Best Director- Damien Chazelle, "La La Land"

Best Animated Feature Film- "Zootopia"

Best Animated Short Film- "Piper"

Best Foreign Language Film- "The Salesman"

Best Live Action Film Short Film- "Sing"

Best Documentary Feature- "O.J.: Made in America"

Best Documentary Short Film- "The White Helmets"

Best Original Screenplay- "Manchester by the Sea"

Best Adapted Screenplay- "Moonlight"

Best Original Song- "City of Stars," La La Land

Best Original Music Score- Justin Hurwitz, "La La Land"

Best Cinematography- "La La Land"

Best Film Editing- "Hacksaw Ridge"

Best Visual Effects- "The Jungle Book"

Best Production Design- "La La Land"

Best Sound Mixing- "Hacksaw Ridge"

Best Sound Editing- "Arrival"

Best Costume Design- "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"

Best Makeup- "Suicide Squad"

The 89th Academy Awards boasted a diverse array of nominees, inspiring speeches and performances and no shortage of comedy. Here are some highlights from the 2017 Oscars.

1. A theme of political statements

The show started with Jimmy Kimmel’s opening monologue, in which he joked to French actress Isabelle Huppert that he was glad Homeland Security let her in. He also made a more somber statement:

“I don't want to get too serious, but there are millions and millions of people watching right now and if every one of you took a minute to reach out to one person you disagree with, someone you like, and have one positive, considerate conversation, not as liberals or conservatives, but as Americans, if we could all do that we could make America great again. It starts with us.”

The statements also continued with Asghar Farhadi, director of Best Foreign Language film “The Salesman,” who didn’t attend the awards show in an act of protest. Anousheh Ansari, who accepted the award on his behalf, read a statement from Farhadi:

“My absence is out of respect for the people of my country and those of other six nations whom have been disrespected by the inhuman law that bans entry of immigrants to the U.S. Dividing the world into the “us" and "our enemies" categories creates fear. A deceitful justification for aggression and war. These wars prevent democracy and human rights in countries which have themselves been victims of aggression. Filmmakers can turn their cameras to capture shared human qualities and break stereotypes of various nationalities and religions. They create empathy between us and others. An empathy which we need today more than ever.”

2. Best Actor and Actress in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali won the award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for "Moonlight." It was his first Oscar and the first of the night. Viola Davis won her first Oscar as well for her role in "Fences." She gave a tearful acceptance speech about the art of filmmaking and storytelling.

3. Musical Performances

Performances from the nominees for Best Original Song lit up the stage. The songs performed included “Can’t Stop the Feeling’” by Justin Timberlake, “The Empty Chair,” by Sting, “How Far I’ll Go,” by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Auli’i Cravalho and “City of Stars” and “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)" by John Legend.

4. Tour Bus Stunt

Host Jimmy Kimmel arranged for a tourist bus to arrive at the Dolby Theater under the ruse that they were going to an exhibit of Oscars dresses. The tourists were in awe as Denzel Washington play married an engaged couple and Jennifer Aniston gifted a pair of sunglasses.

5. Best Animated Film

"Zootopia," a Disney film dealing with race and social issues, took home the award for Best Animated Feature Film. Others nominated were "Moana," "Kubo and the Two Strings," "The Red Turtle" and "My Life as a Zucchini."

6. Best Actor and Actress in a Leading Role

Casey Affleck took home the Oscar for Best Actor for his role in "Manchester by the Sea." This was his first Oscar win. Emma Stone snagged the award for Best Actress for her work in "La La Land." Stone was nominated last year for her role in Birdman, but this was her first win.

7. In Memoriam

In the yearly tradition, celebrities such as Prince, Gene Wilder, Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher were posthumously honored for their work in the film industry. The montage played to the sound of Sara Bareilles’ rendition of Joni Mitchell’s “Both Sides Now.”

8. Best Director

Damien Chazelle won the award for Best Director for his work on "La La Land," making him the youngest person to win in that category. Additionally, he was nominated for Best Original Screenplay, which was awarded to Kenneth Longerman for "Manchester by the Sea." Chazelle was also nominated for Best Adapted Screen play last year for "Whiplash." 

9. Celebrity Mean Tweets

In classic Kimmel form, this year’s Academy Awards featured a "Celebrities Read Mean Tweets" segment. One tweet compared Whoopi Goldberg to armpit hair and another dedicated the “I hate your stinkin’ guts” letter from the film "The Little Rascals" to Eddie Redmayne.

10. Best Picture?

Initially, "La La Land" was announced as this year’s best picture. When the card was read, Warren Beatty looked confused and passed it to co-presenter Faye Dunaway, who read “La La Land.” After the acceptance speech, however, it was realized that there was a mistake. The wrong card was read, and the film "Moonlight" actually won Best Picture. Kimmel jokingly blamed Steve Harvey, who is famous for announcing the wrong winner of the 2015 Miss Universe competition, for the mix up.