Ball State softball shows improvements despite weekend losses

Sophomore Carolyn Wilmes attempts to pitch the ball in the game against Central Michigan at the Varsity Softball Complex on Saturday, April 23, 2016 DN PHOTO ALLYE CLAYTON

Under Armour Invitational Schedule

March 3 11:30 a.m. University of Hartford

2 p.m. University of Pennsylvania

March 4 12:30 p.m. Towson University

3 p.m. University of South Florida

March 5 9 a.m. St. Bonaventure University

Ball State softball (3-11) competed in the Citrus Classic I over the weekend at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida. Going 0-4 in the two days they played, the team is showing progress.

Putting the final scores of the game aside, Ball State’s pitching staff had another strong performance.

On Saturday afternoon, the Cardinal pitchers combined for 10 strikeouts and allowed just four earned runs in a pair of losses to Georgia Southern (4-3) and Liberty (2-1, 5 inn.).

Junior Carolyn Wilmes held the Eagles offense, only allowing eight hits and a pair of earned runs in over seven innings of work. She put up five strikeouts, retiring the side in order in the first and fourth innings. Wilmes holds a 4.79 ERA on the season, and has yet to pick up a win. She has 25 strikeouts on the season.

In Saturday’s second game, freshman Darcie Huber held Liberty to just five hits in the five-inning game that was shortened due to Ball State’s time and travel restrictions after Liberty’s game against No. 3 Florida went into 10 innings.

Huber had five strikeouts in five innings, only allowing two earned runs. Adding her game pitched on Friday against Oakland, she is sitting at .500 on season wins (3-3) with a 2.93 ERA.

The Cardinal offense attempted to work behind the defense, but only scored five runs in the two-day span.

With three weekends of play under her belt, freshman designated player Janae Hogg not only led Ball State’s offense on Saturday going 3-5, but leads the team with a .359 batting average. In 39 meetings at the plate, Hogg has 14 homeruns and a .538 slugging percentage.

Right behind Hogg is freshman left fielder Kennedy Wynn, who averages .333 at the plate in 30 at-bats. Wynn put the ball out to right-center collecting two RBI’s in Friday’s matchup against Lehigh. She now has six RBI’s on the season.

Ball State will return to the road for the fourth weekend in a row when it opens its 13-game spring break trip at the USF Under Armour Invitational with games against Hartford and Penn in Clearwater, Florida.