Ball State demolishes Riverside and Beechwood homes

Over the past month, Ball State University has torn down eight houses along Riverside and Beechwood avenues.

According to Delaware County public records, the Ball State Board of Trustees owns the eight now-vacant properties.

In a statement from Joan Todd, Ball State chief communications officer, Ball State has been preparing lots near the Ball Honors House to build the Health Professions building. However, the lots along Riverside and Beechwood are not part of the Health Professions plan.

The “additional unneeded structures” along Riverside and Beechwood avenues are being torn down to prepare for future Ball State use, Todd said. There are no specific plans for these properties at this time.

According to Richard Hochstetler, Muncie homeowner, Ball State has offered to purchase the two houses that he and his wife own at 1408 W. Beechwood Ave. and 1412 W. Beechwood Ave. These lots are directly next to four of the lots that Ball State has torn down.

Hochstetler says he turned down Ball State’s offer.

“I cannot sell you these houses for any amount of money to be able to have to invest to make the same amount of money to rent them,” Hochstetler said. “What they offered me doesn’t even cover that.”

Hochstetler says he has Ball State pride and wants to help Ball State, but also has to be helped back in return.

In the future, Hochstetler says he is confident to to rent out his houses even if there is construction next-door.

The $62.5 million Health Professions building set plan will be built along the southeast corner of Riverside Avenue and Martin Street. Ball State says there is no timeline for completion.