Ball State men’s swim and dive beat Evansville behind Lienhart, Ackley, Nondorf's big day

<p>Junior Isaac Walling swims in the 1000 freestyle against Tiffin University on Nov. 5 at Lewellen Aquatic Center. The Ball State men's swim and dive team started the second half of the season losing to IUPUI and Xavier in the dual meet Jan. 6. <em style="background-color: initial;">Patrick Murphy // DN File</em></p>

Junior Isaac Walling swims in the 1000 freestyle against Tiffin University on Nov. 5 at Lewellen Aquatic Center. The Ball State men's swim and dive team started the second half of the season losing to IUPUI and Xavier in the dual meet Jan. 6. Patrick Murphy // DN File

Remaining Cardinal schedule 

1. Senior Meet vs Notre Dame (Feb. 4, Lewellen Aquatic Center)

2. At Miami (Feb. 11, Oxford, Ohio)

3. Mid-American Championships (March 1-4, Carbondale, Illinois)

On Jan. 28, the Ball State men’s swim and dive team beat top Mid-American Conference rival Evansville by a score of 153-81. The all-time series is now 4-3, in favor of the Cardinals. 

Head swimming coach Bob Thomas said three athletes stood out the most from the meet.

“Well two guys, just right off the back, Banistre Lienhart and Logan Ackley,” Thomas said.

Lienhart won both the 100- and 200-yard freestyle events. Lienhart swam a season-best time of 47.68 and a 1:45.24 in the 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle, respectively.

“Those were huge and best times on the season that he has done right now,” Thomas said.

During the meet, Lienhart had a little more motivation than racing senior Austin Green. Lienhart’s fraternity brothers from Delta Tau Delta were in the crowd.

“I love seeing them in the stands and they really hyped me up,” Lienhart said. “It was fun having them here.”

Another swimmer who stood out was freshman Ackley. Ackley won the 200-yard backstroke and swam a season-best time 1:54.29. He also led off the 200-yard freestyle relay with a 22.84, which helped the "B" relay place second in the event.

The final swimmer who stood out was sophomore Luke Nondorf. Nondorf swam a second season-best time of 2:09.81 in the 200-yard breaststroke. He also paced the Cardinals to a sweep in that event.

“To do those times right now is great for him,” Thomas said.

On the boards, assistant diving coach Jake Brehmer said both sophomores Gabe Dean and Lane Sawyer dove well.

“Lane only dove one-meter, because he has a stress fracture on his back and we did not want to put a lot of pressure on him,” Brehmer said. “Gabe looked good too. A couple of misses on one-meter, but that is not bad in diving.”

Head diving coach Nick Gayes mentioned on Jan. 25 to be “unshakeable.” In his dives today, Brehmer said he looked ready.

“I think he was OK mentally. It was just a rough day,” Brehmer said.

On three-meters, Dean said he was not very happy with his dives.

“I missed three of my dives,” Dean said. “So I have to regroup and focus on my mistakes and learn from them.”

Thomas said this meet was a team victory.

“I thought that they did what they had to do and we came out on top,” Thomas said.