Ball State men's, women's swim and dive sweep MAC Swimmer of the Week honors

Head coach Kristy Castillo talks to the Ball State Women's swim team before the Red and White meet in the Lewellen Pool on Oct. 8, 2016. The red team won 117-105. Kaiti Sullivan // DN

Ball State swimming and diving swept the Mid-American Conference men's and women's Swimmers of the Week honors. 

Men's swim and dive senior Tanner Barton was named the MAC Swimmer of the Week. Barton is the first men's swimmer to be named MAC Swimmer of the Week this season.

In a dual meet with IUPUI and Xavier Jan. 6, Barton was one of the Cardinals' top finishers. Barton placed second in the 100 butterfly with a time of 52.26. The captain also had a sixth place finish with a time of 1:46.23 in the 200 freestyle.

Since the beginning of the season, Barton has dropped 0.57 seconds in the 100-yard butterfly, and 132 seconds in the 200-yard freestyle.

For the women, junior Andrea Richter took home the honor after her strong performance in the team's dual meet with IUPUI and Xavier Jan. 6. Richter secured a first-place finish and a season best in the 100 butterfly. She was also part of the winning 200 medley relay which had a split time of 25.29. Richter swam a lifetime best in the 400 freestyle relay with a split time of 53.95.