Hitting the road? Be mindful of weather conditions, forecasters say

Late Thursday evening The National Weather Service(NWS) in Indianapolis issued a Winter Weather Advisory for much of Indiana beginning at 7 PM today until 1 PM on Saturday. Drivers should be concerned with the road conditions and flooding. Kyle Crawford // DN File

State Police advise travelers to check road and traffic conditions by visiting the Indiana Department of Transportation website, calling 800-261-ROAD(7623) or using the traffic feature on a mapping app.

Planning on driving home tonight? It might be a good idea to check the weather, first.

The National Weather Service (NWS) in Indianapolis issued a winter weather advisory for much of Indiana beginning at 7 p.m. on Jan. 13 ad running through 1 p.m. on Jan. 14. The advisory includes a warning against freezing rain with a mix of sleet or snow that will affect travel through much of Central Indiana. 

According to NWS, ice accumulation could also be as much as a tenth of an inch in some areas, creating hazardous driving conditions. The most dangerous winter conditions include rain and ice mixtures, which according to the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT), even proves dangerous for four-wheel drive vehicles and salt trucks. Drivers in local areas should also be prepared for possible flooding, according to weather forecasters.

The Indiana State Police (ISP) are advising drivers to monitor weather conditions and prepare for possible emergency situations.

RELATED: Tips for frostbite prevention

Before leaving, authorities suggest travelers should be sure to be prepared by:

• Keeping emergency supply kits in vehicles
  • Informing family members and friends of the route traveled and the time of expected arrival
  • Keeping cell phones charged at all times if possible

While on the road, drivers are also encouraged to stay aware and alert by:

• Monitoring current air temperatures and slowing down if conditions are near or below freezing
  • Applying anti-lock brakes firmly when encountering ice and pumping brakes that are not anti-lock
  • Avoiding overcorrecting with steering
  • Watching for pot holes that become more prevalent once temperatures rise again

For those staying indoors, police state recommend insulating doors and windows with weather stripping or thick towels and insulating pipes with newspaper to avoid freezing.