DINNER FOR 2ISH: Mushroom chicken

Editor's Note: Emma Rogers and Tyson Bird are senior journalism majors who write "Dinner for 2ish" for the Daily News. Their views do not necessarily agree with those of the paper.

We started cooking together in the summer of 2015 and have planned and cooked a dinner every week since. Our recipes are often inspired by the New York Times’ cooking website but are adapted to fit Muncie availability and a college budget. We recently started making this incredibly simple chicken recipe and now can't stop! You can often find mushrooms for a good price and it comes together in just a few minutes.

Mushroom chicken

Ingredients

• 2-4 chicken breasts
  • A little bit of flour
  • 1 package white mushrooms, washed right before using
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup wine (red or white, or use chicken broth)
  • Parsley and/or capers, for garnish

Directions

1. Heat some oil in a large pan. Lightly coat the chicken breasts with flour.
  2. Cook the chicken for about 6 minutes per side, until cooked completely through.
  3. While the chicken cooks, slice the mushrooms into approximately 1/4-inch slices.
  4. Remove the chicken from the pan, but don't drain the oil. Set the chicken aside and cover with foil.
  5. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook, adding the butter as the mushrooms start to absorb the oil.
  6. Once the butter is melted, add the wine. Bring the pan to a boil and simmer until the sauce has reduced and is dark brown — about five minutes.
  7. Return the chicken to the pan as the sauce thickens. Serve each breast topped with mushrooms, sauce, parsley and/or capers.

Serves two