PREVIEW: Ball State sports over Winter Break

Forward Franko House drives the ball in during the Cardinals

Several Ball State sports are still in action over Winter Break.

Men's and women's basketball have the most games, and they both start Mid-American Conference play. Men's volleyball and gymnastics will also both start their seasons. Track and field and swim and dive will compete the weekend before school resumes, too.

Here's the schedule over break:

Sunday, Dec. 18

Women's basketball hosts Lipscomb at 2 p.m. The Cardinals won the last matchup between the two schools 72-60 on the road last season.

Monday, Dec. 19

Men's basketball hosts Longwood at 7 p.m. Ball State is looking for its third win against Longwood in three seasons.

Wednesday, Dec. 21

Women's basketball travels to Bowling Green, Kentucky, to take on Western Kentucky at 6:30 p.m. The Lady Toppers are the defending Conference USA champions and last season the Cardinals won 74-60.

Thursday, Dec. 22

Men's basketball hosts Alabama State at 7 p.m.

Wednesday, Dec. 28

Women's basketball hosts Urbana, a Division-II school from Ohio at 7 p.m. Last season, Ball State played Urbana in its pre-season exhibition game and won 151-72.

Thursday, Dec. 29

Ball State men's basketball gets an escape from the cold weather of Indiana with a trip to Jacksonville to take on North Florida at 7 p.m. The Ospreys made the National Invitation Tournament last season but lost to Florida in the first round.

Saturday, Dec. 31

Women's basketball opens MAC play on the road at 12 p.m. on New Year's Eve. Ball State swept Toledo last season, winning 75-69 at home and 68-58 on the road.

Tuesday, Jan. 3

Men's basketball starts MAC play on the road against Kent State at 7 p.m. The Cardinals lost to the Golden Flashes 76-68 last season.

Wednesday, Jan. 4

Women's basketball hosts Kent State at 7 p.m. Last season, Ball State lost 59-50 on the road.

Thursday, Jan. 5

Men's volleyball kicks off its season with a tournament in Hawaii. The Cardinals play Princeton at 7 p.m.

Friday, Jan. 6

Men's volleyball continues its Hawaii tournament against Erksine at 4 p.m.

Men's and women's swim and dive compete at IUPUI at 6 p.m.

Gymnastics has its first meet of the season at Missouri. Illinois will also compete in the dual meet.

Saturday, Jan. 7

Men's and women's basketball will play back-to-back home games the weekend before classes start.

Men's basketball hosts Bowling Green at 1 p.m. The Cardinals beat the Falcons 72-64 last season.

Women's basketball hosts Western Michigan at 3:30 p.m. The Cardinals swept the Broncos last season.

Men's volleyball ends its tournament against host Hawaii at 7 p.m.

Track and Field continues the indoor season with a meet at Western Michigan, with the time yet to be determined.