Ball State men's swimming and diving head to Eastern Michigan Invitational

Freshman Ben Andrew swims breaststroke during the 200 yard individual medley at the Red and White Meet in the Lewellen Pool on Oct. 15, 2016.  The white team won 100-96. Kaiti Sullivan // DN
Freshman Ben Andrew swims breaststroke during the 200 yard individual medley at the Red and White Meet in the Lewellen Pool on Oct. 15, 2016. The white team won 100-96. Kaiti Sullivan // DN

Ball State men's swimming and diving remaining schedule

@ IUPUI/Xavier Jan. 6

@ Eastern Michigan Jan. 14

@ Indiana State/Eastern Illinois Jan. 20

@ Butler Invitational Jan. 22

vs. Evansville Jan. 28

vs. Notre Dame Feb. 4

@ Miami Feb. 11

Ball State men’s swimming and diving (2-1) heads to the Eastern Michigan (1-2) Invitational Dec. 2 and Dec. 3. 

Last season, the Cardinals placed 3rd in the invitational with 643 points. 

Head diving coach Nick Gayes said he looks forward to this meet not for placing, but for the team to obtain season and career best times.

“The divers are looking to get two lists in back-to-back. Being able to advance out of prelims and be able to do that second list,” Gayes said.

Unlike other meets this season, this meet will include a prelims and finals session.

“The divers would do their six dives on one meter [on Dec. 2], then hopefully advance to finals to do that same list,” Gayes said. “That allows them an opportunity to make corrections.”

Senior Jake Eckert said the swim team has been doing a “drop-taper” for this meet.

“It is a drop-taper that usually lasts for three to four days. For me, I feel it during the meet,” Eckert said.

A taper, according to USASwimming.org, is the most important part of a swimmer's season where they peak for championship meets. 

Sophomore Alec Tuthill said practices this week have been easy for him.

“We have been doing a lot of lactate sets, which is sprinting,” Tuthill said.

On the boards, sophomore Gabe Dean has been not working out as much in the weight room, due to this taper this week.

“I’m doing this so my body can be close to its peak,” Dean said.

The meet on Dec. 2 begins at 6 p.m. and the Dec. 3 meet starts at 10 a.m.