Daily News places in all categories at ICPA-HSPA College Division Contest

The Daily News staff took home five awards, three of which were first place awards, at the Indiana Collegiate Press Association – Hoosier State Press Association College Division Contest Dec. 3.

The competition highlighted some of the best works in student media, giving each college or university in Indiana a chance to submit one entry per each of the five categories.

Staff members at The Daily News won first place in news, sports and editorial writing as well as third place in features and photo.

1st place winners:

News — "Ball State President Ferguson resigns"

By Kaitlin Lange and Kara Berg

"You definitely had a news story. And you covered it with the appropriate balance," the judges said. "I really like how you broke the story down in pieces and included a timeline."

Sports — "Caught in the middle"

By Robby General

"This entry excels because of the reporting involved," the judges said. "The story gives me big-picture insights in to the big game. The economics of college sports impact things at so many levels," 

Editorial/Opinion — "Blocking interviews for class assignments devalues Ball State degree"

By The Editorial Board

"So sad. The public information folks have a job to do — help journalists do their jobs," the judges said. "It shouldn't matter whether it's for class or not, anyone should have access to our public officials."

3rd place winners:

Feature — "Between two worlds"

By Danielle Grady

"You took a big story and picked a specific angle and made me feel like it was all important," the judges said. "You humanized something that I wouldn't ordinarily see."

Photo — "United Way and East Central Indiana Labor Day Picnic"

By Reagan Allen

"Love the reaction. Good use of low depth of field," the judges said. "Great job getting in close. Good exposure considering backlit subject."