Three holiday DIYs to make your dorm, apartment festive

As the holiday season approaches, make your dorm or apartment festive with these three do-it-yourself decorations.

Mason Jar Lid Ornament

What you need:

• Mason jar lid
  • Fabric
  • Sharpie
  • Twine
  • Hot glue gun
  • Scissors

Directions:

1. Trace the mason jar lid on the back side of the fabric. Then, cut the fabric in a circle a bit wider than what you traced.
  2. Using the glue gun, glue the fabric to the lid and make sure the edges of the fabric to the backside.
  3. Using a sharpie, draw on the front of the fabric.  You can choose a snowflake, snowman, or any other holiday themed design you want. 
  4. Cut about four inches of twine. Hot glue each end to the back of the mason jar. Hang on your tree and enjoy!

Wooden Sled Ornament

What you need:

• Popsicle sticks
  • Paint
  • Twine
  • Paint brush
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun

Directions:

1. Paint ten popsicle sticks. Let dry.
  2. Arrange five sticks paint side down side-by-side to look like a sled. The popsicle stick in the middle should be slightly higher than the ones on each side.
  3. Cut a popsicle stick so that you can hot glue it to the back of the five painted sticks.
  4. Hot glue two popsicle sticks together. Repeat. These are the skis of the sled. Hot glue to the bottom of the sled.
  5. Cut a popsicle stick so that it is slightly longer than the distance between the two skis. Hot glue to the front of the sled.
  6. Cut about 4 inches of twine. Hot glue to the cut stick in the front.

Ribbon Garland

What you need:

• Four different kinds of ribbon
  • Scissors

Directions:

1. Pick out the three kinds of ribbon that you want for your garland. The fourth ribbon is what you will be tying your cut ribbon to.
  2. Figure out how long you would like your ribbon to be. A good start can be about twelve inches long. Cut each ribbon the same length.
  3. Now you will be tying the three different ribbons to the longer, fourth ribbon. Take a ribbon, fold it in half. Loop the ribbon onto the fourth ribbon.
  4. Make a pattern for the different ribbons. 
  5. Hang up the garland on your door or wall.