Men's swim and dive set to host Tiffin University

Freshman Ben Andrew swims breaststroke during the 200 yard individual medley at the Red and White Meet in the Lewellen Pool on Oct. 15, 2016.  The white team won 100-96. Kaiti Sullivan // DN
Freshman Ben Andrew swims breaststroke during the 200 yard individual medley at the Red and White Meet in the Lewellen Pool on Oct. 15, 2016. The white team won 100-96. Kaiti Sullivan // DN

After wins against Rose-Hulman and Albion College last weekend, the Ball State men’s swim and dive team hosts Tiffin University Nov. 5.

“We have been keeping both the intensity and volume up," head coach Bob Thomas said. "The program that I have been running has been a great success."

Thomas said his goal for the team is not only to win, but to see improvement from the swimmers.

“Each opportunity they should improve on," Thomas said. "This is another meet for them to obtain a season or personal best time.”

Last weekend, sophomore Luke Nondorf swam a personal best time in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.16). He said said he has been working on his turns.

“I had had slow turns," Nondorf said. "So working on them, I will be able to decrease my time in the 100 and 200 breaststroke."

Also last weekend, senior Jacob Eckert swam a 2:06.80 during the 200 individual medley.

“With my endurance getting better, my splits for each 50 will continue getting faster and faster,” Eckert said.

On the diving side, head coach Nick Gayes said the meet will be stress free. Tiffin does not have any divers on their team.

"It is just another opportunity for us to do our dives without the stress of competition,” Gayes said.

Without the competition, Gayes wants the divers to be more consistent.

“We are just working on the progress of our mechanics," Gayes said. "I want them to trust the process of diving and move week by week through it."

With one meet under his belt, junior Jeremy Taylor thinks this meet will go better.

In preparation for the meet, Taylor has been working on his board work with Gayes.

“I have been working one-on-one with Nick on my hurdle [last step before takeoff from the board] and jumping off the board with proper technique,” Taylor said.

The meet begins at 1 p.m. in Lewellen Aquatic Center.