Ball State women's basketball looks for encore after strong season opener

Freshman forward Moriah Monaco goes up for a shot during the game against Ohio on Jan. 24 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

GAMEDAY INFO

WHO: Ball State (1-0) vs University of Evansville Purple Aces (0-2)

WHEN: 7 p.m.

WHERE: Worthen Arena

COVERAGE: TV (ESPN3) and Radio (WXFN) 

Last Friday, junior forward Moriah Monaco and senior center Renee Bennett combined to score over half of Ball State's points in an 88-60 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff. 

The Cardinals have built confidence going in to game number two as the University of Evansville comes to visit Worthen Arena on Friday, Nov. 16.

Ball State (1-0) had a strong start and overall performance against Pine Bluff, scoring 51 points in the first half while only giving up 26.

Head coach Brady Sallee said he wants the team to improve on finishing the same way they started after only scoring 29 points in the second half. 

The Cardinals will take on the Purple Aces (0-2) at home after a memorable game last season in Evansville. It was in that matchup that Ball State all-time women's basketball leading scorer Nathalie Fontaine broke the single-game scoring record for Ball State women's basketball by notching 43 points en route to a 73-53 victory. 

Ball State also outscored Evansville 32-8 in the paint in last season's contest. The Cardinals once again have a sizable height advantage with Monaco (6'1) and Bennett (6'5) leading the way down low.

The main player to keep an eye on for Evansville is senior guard Sara Dickey. She's combined to score 38 points through the first two games, leading the way for the winless Purple Aces.

Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. The game will be broadcasted on ESPN3 and WXFN Radio.