Ball State men's basketball heads to Las Vegas for two games

Sophomore guard Tayler Persons drives the ball under the basket during the game against University of Indianapolis on Nov. 3 in Worthen Arena. Kyle Crawford // DN

Ball State vs. Coppin State

Date: Nov. 21

Time: 3:30 p.m.

Place: MGM Grand Garden Arena (Las Vegas, Nevada)

Watch:YouTube

Ball State vs. Southern Utah

Date: Nov. 23

Time: 3:30 p.m.

Watch: YouTube

Ball State men’s basketball is in Las Vegas for the final two games of the MGM Grand Main Event.

On Nov. 21 the Cardinals (1-2) will play Coppin State (0-4) at 3:30 p.m. On Nov. 23 the Cardinals take on Southern Utah (1-2) at 3:30 p.m.

The Nov. 21 matchup against the Coppin State Eagles will only be the fourth meeting between the two. The last game (1995) came before some of the Cardinals were even born. Ball State leads the all-time series 2-1.

Coppin State is coming off a 94-51 loss to Utah. Last season, the Eagles finished 9-22 and 6-10 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

The Cardinals will have to stop Coppin State senior guard Josh Treadwell, who’s averaging 11 points and four rebounds throughout four games.

In the Nov. 23 matchup with the Southern Utah Thunderbirds, the Cardinals will have to deal with junior guard Randy Onwuasor, who's averaging 27 points, nine rebounds and seven assists per game in the teams three games.

The Cardinals split the first two games of the tournament, defeating Saint Louis 85-64 on opening night and falling to Alabama 77-59 in the teams' first ever matchup against each other.

Sophomore guard Tayler Persons has been leading Ball State's offense with 20.7 points per game in his first three games after sitting out last season after transferring from Northern Kentucky University. Persons also leads the Cardinals with six three-pointers made.

Senior forward Franko House leads the team on the boards, hauling in 9.0 rebounds per game. He also scores 18.0 points per game through three games this season. House is 31 points away from becoming the 29th player to reach 1,000 career points in school history.

The Cardinals return to Worthen Arena Nov. 29 when they host IU Kokomo.