LSU votes to officially change name to Latinx

<p>The Latino Student Union voted on Wednesday to change their name to Latinx Student Union from now on. <em>Latino Student Union Facebook // Photo Courtesy&nbsp;</em></p>

The Latino Student Union voted on Wednesday to change their name to Latinx Student Union from now on. Latino Student Union Facebook // Photo Courtesy 

There were more Google searches for the term Latinx in June 2016 than ever before.

The Latino Student Union will be known as the Latinx Student Union from now on.

LSU voted Nov. 2 to change its name to Latinx, a more inclusive version of Latino than Latino/a or Latin@.

The change came after an initial vote and a revote at the previous meeting on Oct. 19. Because both votes did not result in the required majority of a two-vote difference that would allow LSU to change the name, the 34 members voted again at Wednesday's meeting.

Hasaan Allen, a senior architecture major, voted to change the name to Latinx.

“I think it’s important in our society to look towards progressiveness. The LGBTQ community has gone through a lot of struggle just moving towards being accepted, and I think it’s up to the community to welcome these type of ideas to get rid of the seclusion, the segregation,” Allen said. “So I thought it was important just to express the inclusiveness of the organization and let everyone on campus know that LSU is not just for Latino members or heterosexual members, but it’s a club that welcomes everyone.”

According to Univision, the term Latinx is new and helps trans, queer, agender, non-binary, gender non-conforming and gender fluid people express their Latinidad, or pride in Latino diversity. 

The Royal Spanish Academy, an organization that lays guidelines for proper pronunciation and etymology of the Spanish language for every country that’s primary language is Spanish, does not recognize the term Latinx nor any other inclusive versions of Latino.

Allen recognized those who were concerned about compromising the cultural identity of LSU to conform to gender inclusivity.

“People who feel that way could also argue that LSU is a place only for Latino students and obviously that’s contrary to the case. Everyone is invited to come here no matter their race,” Allen said. “Like me, for example, I’m African-American, but I’m welcome to be there as well. So although the club is focused on Spanish culture, I think it affects the Spanish culture, too, and I think that the club is about more than just including Latino members. It’s about including everybody.”

Junior psychology major Megan Todd attended the Nov. 2 meeting but was not yet a member of LSU at the time of the vote. However, if given the chance, Todd said she would have voted to change the name.

“I think the name change is great because I think it’s super inclusive of all identities because Latinx isn’t just masculine or feminine—it’s that, and then everything in between,” Todd said.