With election win, Pence becomes vice president

Republican vice president candidate Mike Pence signs banners and greets supporters during a campaign rally at Renaissance Ballroom in West Miami on Friday, Nov. 4, 2016. (Pedro Portal/El Nuevo Herald/TNS)

With Republican Donald Trump winning the seat for the presidency, the new vice president will now be Gov. Mike Pence. 

Trump topped Democrat Hillary Clinton to become the 12th Republican to carry Indiana in the last 13 presidential elections, according to the Associated Press. The victory gives Trump Indiana's 11 electoral votes.

While, AP reported that Trump was heavily favored to win Indiana before he even picked Pence as his vice presidential candidate before the GOP convention in July, some believe that Trumps win Indiana may have been influenced by having Pence on the ticket. 

Indiana declared Trump the winner very quickly and was one of the first states to do so.

Makayla Johnson, a junior and exercise science major is a Republican and while she did not actually vote for Trump, she said she thinks that Trump having Pence did not "help Trump claim Indiana, but did not hurt him either."

“I think that, that helped. I don’t think it hurt him just because Pence tends to be more of the voice of reason between the two," Johnson said. "So I think that that helped pick up a lot of voters with the Trump campaign. So people who were thinking that he might be like really like kind of explosive, when Pence came in that might like calm down."

Sean Hildebrand, a political science assistant professor disagreed and said that Pence did not necessarily help Trump claim Indiana but he did credit Pence with some contribution to Trump’s overall national campaign.

“He (Pence) is going out there and speaking and he probably brought some Republicans back home that were wavering about Trump because in a lot of ways he’s the prototypical Republican," Hildebrand said. "I can see where some of that came back into the fold."

Elizabeth Bailey, a freshman exercise science major, was not surprised with the results of Trump taking Indiana with Pence as his running mate. 

“I know typically Indiana tends to be more republican so that might have played a bigger role than anything,” Bailey said.