SpringHill camps to hold campus recruitment

<p>Counselors Jenny Pacurib and Derric Gowan guide Sarah, a SpringHill camper, across a slack line on July 27 at Reynoldsburg United Methodist Church in Ohio. <em>Grace Ramey</em><em> // SpringHill Camps</em></p>

Counselors Jenny Pacurib and Derric Gowan guide Sarah, a SpringHill camper, across a slack line on July 27 at Reynoldsburg United Methodist Church in Ohio. Grace Ramey // SpringHill Camps

SpringHill, a Christian youth camp that aims to connect young people with God, is coming to Ball State to recruit camp counselors for the summer 2017. Most of SpringHill's counselors are college students, but counselors range in age from 18 to 24. 

Former counselors will be recruiting students in the Atrium from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 2. 

The camp offers various leadership position and different internship opportunities for college students.

SpringHill began in 1969. There are many camp locations throughout the Midwest, including Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa. 

Those involved will usually travel around the state and connect with different churches to reach as many children as possible. 

The camp is divided into different age groups ranging from K-12.

SpringHill offers different experiences depending on personal preference such as day camps, summer overnight camp, retreats and a family camp.

This camp is dedicated to helping young children develop an understanding and relationship with God. A typical SpringHill camping experience will involve time for small groups and large groups, which include Bible study and informative group discussions. 

The religious curriculum changes every summer, which guarantees campers will learn something new from the Bible every year. It is the camp counselor’s responsibility to answer any questions and help guide young campers in their development with Christ. 

All counselors for SpringHill must consent to a weeks’ worth of training in safety, care and child interaction. 

Kelsey Berlinger, a junior interpersonal communications major, is a former SpringHill camp counselor. This past summer, Berlinger was one of the eighteen Ball State students who worked for SpringHill at one of their overnight camps.

“One of the biggest things that we teach in small groups is the different stories in the Bible and we try to relate [the stories] to [the children’s’] lives,” Berlinger said. 

These aren’t the only teachings the camp gives to its campers. SpringHill also specializes in teaching a variety of Gospel-related acronyms, making it easier for children to remember and learn the religious teachings.

Berlinger said working for SpringHill is a rewarding job and counselors have to be passionate about sharing with the kids.

“I feel like it’s all about letting God do what he wants in his timing. It’s like being that leader and guidance in their lives and letting it happen from there,” Berlinger said. 

Although the camp is very religious, it doesn’t allow children to miss out on the typical camp experience. SpringHill offers a lot of physical activities such as horseback riding, zip lining, paint ball, archery, obstacle courses, swimming, and crafts. Campers also engage in service opportunities.

Harrison Thompson, a sophomore elementary education major, has also been a counselor at SpringHill camp for the last two years. He said spending the last two summers at SpringHill has been "without a doubt" the best summers of his life.

“SpringHill is the best job I could ever ask for as a college student, because I basically get paid to hang out with kids and other college students and have a ton of fun,” Thompson said.

Berlinger also said this part of camp was what helped make the experience special.

“My favorite camp activity would probably be the water slides. The kids never wanted to leave,” she said.

She remains in contact with the SpringHill directors, and continues to help recruitment for SpringHill by setting up flyers around campus for the camp in addition to helping with the recruitment event.