DINNER FOR 2ISH: Chicken pot pie

Editor's Note: Emma Rogers and Tyson Bird are senior journalism majors who write "Dinner for 2ish" for the Daily News. Their views do not necessarily agree with those of the paper.

We started cooking together in the summer of 2015 and have planned and cooked a dinner every week since. Our recipes are often inspired by the New York Times’ cooking website but are adapted to fit Muncie availability and a college budget. It's cold, there was an election this week, and chicken pot pie solves pretty much any problem.

Chicken pot pie

Estimated cost per serving: $1.35

Ingredients:

• Refrigerated pie crust (they come in a pack of two)
  • 1 chicken breast, cut into small pieces
  • 3/4 of a white onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
  • One egg

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add two tablespoons of vegetable oil and cook the chicken all the way through (about 5-7 minutes). Set aside.
  3. While the chicken cooks, carefully place one of the crusts in the bottom of a pie pan. Do your best to center the crust, and don't worry if some hangs off the edge.
  4. In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onion. Stir frequently for about three minutes, until the onions become soft and translucent. 
  5. Add the flour and stir constantly until the mixture thickens. Add the chicken broth, stir and add milk. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens. 
  6. Add the chicken and peas and stir until combined. Pour the mixture into the crust.
  7. Place the second crust over the top. Use a knife to slice six slits in the top, which will allow steam to escape while the pie bakes.
  8. Beat the egg and brush the mixture over the top of the crust. This will cause the crust to become golden brown as it bakes.
  9. Bake the pot pie for 35 minutes. Rest for five minutes before serving.

Serves six.