Students share experiences, identities, values with Brave Space

<p>BraveSpace, a new initiative by&nbsp;Housing and Residence Life created by residence hall director&nbsp;Michael King, aims to provide residents&nbsp;with a&nbsp;safe space to discuss&nbsp;different perspectives about identity, values and experiences. The monthly group conversations, originally requested by students, is lead by RA leaders.&nbsp;<em>Michael King // Photo Provided</em></p>

BraveSpace, a new initiative by Housing and Residence Life created by residence hall director Michael King, aims to provide residents with a safe space to discuss different perspectives about identity, values and experiences. The monthly group conversations, originally requested by students, is lead by RA leaders. Michael King // Photo Provided

Sexuality, social class, gender and political views are important and controversial subjects, yet are not often discussed.  Brave Space, a new initiative by Housing and Residence Life, was launched to provide residents with a space to safely discuss these different perspectives about identity, values and experiences.

Michael King, a resident hall director and initiator of the Brave Space Program, said that the monthly group conversations lead by RA leaders were originally requested by students who wanted a place to come together and share perspectives. 

“The college environment is meant to be a place of discussion, of sharing perspectives and experiences and identities,” King said. “The Brave Space initiative sets out to create that opportunity, too.”

Each month, Brave Space focuses on a different theme. 

August’s theme of "Introduction to Difference" encouraged students to share controversial opinions, and then respond to them only by asking more questions and listening, in order to build empathy. September focused on "Empathy and Honesty," and October focuses on "Identity and Values."  

Allison Albright, a freshman nursing major, said that growing up in a small town, it was interesting to be exposed to so many different diverse ideas at Brave Space. 

“I found it beneficial because it just helps you relate to people that have similarities to you, and also helps you realize that everyone’s different in their unique ways,” Albright said.

Tanna Highlen, a sophomore biology major, encouraged other students to take part.

“People aren’t cookie cutters. That’s definitely something that people, especially shy people, because I’m one of them, need to realize — that nobody’s going to act a certain way, or think a certain way about you," Highlen said. "We’re not going to be judgmental.”

Brave Space’s latest program involved an activity where statements were read aloud, and if students identified with the statement, they stepped into the circle.

“When I stepped in alone, it sort of was like shattering my safety barrier, my own comfort,” Highlen said. “It didn’t feel bad. I’m mostly like super shy, so doing that sort of felt like a trust exercise for the rest of the world.”

Multiple residence halls hold Brave Space programs across campus, with 75 student staff members organizing these events within their communities. Students have been responding well to the programs, and some staff say, they have been carrying discussions beyond Brave Space events.

Haley Vandagrift, a freshman finance and accounting major, said she would like to see the programs be expanded and for more residents to take part.

“I think it would be interesting to see with more people,” she said. “I think a  lot of people would also benefit from being open to others and learning about them and learning about themselves.”

The varying topics will attempt to continue to connect Ball State students to better understand who they are and how they can share perspectives, identities and experiences with one another. 

“As we move through our day-to-day lives, we are bombarded with messages about what’s going on in the world, and there’s no shortage of controversial topics,” King said. “For students, it’s important to be able to talk about these matters especially as they impact each of us a bit differently. This is an important life skill, by the way; these conversations don’t get any easier once you graduate.”