What to do for October's First Thursday ArtsWalk

Need something to do Thursday? Consider going to ArtsWalk.

<p>Muncie will host a First Thursday ArtsWalk on Oct. 6.&nbsp;Ball State students and faculty will perform and show artwork alongside other musical guests.&nbsp;<em>Alexandra Smith // DN</em></p>

Muncie will host a First Thursday ArtsWalk on Oct. 6. Ball State students and faculty will perform and show artwork alongside other musical guests. Alexandra Smith // DN

For more information on ArtsWalk 2016, visit the DWNTWN website.

DWNTWN Muncie hosts a First Thursday ArtsWalk on the first Thursday of every month.

This month, Ball State students and faculty will be performing and showing artwork during the event. There will also be several musical guests.

Several locations will also host PrimeTrust’s “Soup Crawl” benefiting Second Harvest Food Bank. Tickets are $20 in advance, available at Prime Trust branches and Second Harvest Food Bank.

Here’s a list of what to expect, and where to find it.

MAIN STREET

Cornerstone Center for the Arts

The work of visual arts instructor Patricia Kreigh will be featured. Her gallery show, "Splang," which is Scottish for sparkle, will hold an opening reception from 5 to 7 p.m.

Cornerstone Park, located at the corner of Main and Madison, will host PrimeTrust Federal Credit Union & Cornerstone Center for the Arts Kid’s Zone. From 5 to8 p.m., the Kid’s Zone will provide free arts and crafts, balloon making and face painting.

Cornerstone will also be the venue for the John Scofield concert presented by Muncie Three Trails Music Series. The concert is free and begins at 7:30 p.m. in the E.B. Ball Auditorium. Seating is limited and early arrival is recommended.

Madjax

Tribune Showprint and the Book Arts Collaborative will be open for tours, and Hoosier artist Jerry Points will be featured in a pop-up gallery. The work of several regional and other American artists will be featured as well.

There will also be works by Ball State’s School of Art and Institute for Digital Intermedia Arts (IDIA) Lab. “Sculpture, Sound, and Performance” will feature the work of Evan Burnette, John Fillwalk, Thomas Williamson, Grif Williams, Alex Mikev and Mike Dorsey.

MACC/Madjax

Ball State's School of Art Sculpture and Intermedia Students will present sculpture and performance works. Ball State’s IDIA Lab will showcase a social sculpture app and several interactive light and sound projects.

Toy Emporium

Washington Street Toy Emporium will feature some of the custom toys and artwork by owner Jodi Moisan, who has achieved international recognition for being a custom toy maker. Pieces onsite are on loan and not for sale, but orders can be taken. All kids who visit get a free train whistle.

Gordy Fine Art and Framing

Monkey Thunder VI will host an opening reception and group show featuring work from more than 20 artists. 

Monkey Thunder is an annual art coup carried out by experimental and interdisciplinary artists working locally and regionally. These include current faculty and students at the Ball State School of Art as well as guest artists. Light refreshments will be served. 

Braydee Euliss, GFAF Gallery Manager, organized and will curate the reception. There will be a video component of the show, hosted concurrently at Black Box (Studio Theatre) just down the street from Gordy’s at the Muncie Civic Theatre. 

Monkey Thunder VI will be a month-long event, with the opening reception coinciding with ArtsWalk.

Muncie Civic Theatre

Muncie Fuji Sushi & Hibachi will be serving onion soup for Soup Crawl.

There will be free Historic Building Tours every 20 minutes, as well as ghost stories.

The Boyce Block Building Lobby will have a Fall Costume Sale. Hats and costumes range from Halloween and novelty to true vintage pieces.

Black Box (Studio Theatre)

Black Box is located at the Muncie Civic Theatre. It will present “Video Thunder,” a time-based media/video installation and screening. Works featured are by Ball State School of Art faculty and alumni Karl Erickson, Nat Russell, Josh McGarvey and Colby Golden.

This is the video component of the Monkey Thunder VI exhibit at Gordy’s Fine Art and Framing. This ‘side show’ has been a Monkey Thunder favorite and is a one-night-only event.

Downtown Farm Stand

There will be bratwurst smoked and sold out front and specials inside.

The Vintage Shoppe

Unique art and handmade items are available here, including plant hangers, framed art, locally made cutting boards and, of course, vintage clothes.

Chesterfields

This is another Soup Crawl location. Chesterfields will also host a student pumpkin carving contest. Winners will be determined by a public vote.

Kirk's Bike Shop

Kirk's will be offering discounts on all 2016 inventory. All remaining 2016 bicycles will be priced to move. The shop will be open until 8 p.m. for ArtsWalk, with an “End of Construction Blowout Sale.”

Debbie’s Handmade Soap

The business will offer free samples of handmade soap, handcrafted from scratch using the cold process method. Debbie’s offers lotions, lip balms, bath bombs, handmade washcloths and exfoliators, among other bath and spa items. ArtsWalk will be its first full day open for business.

Pazols Jewelers

On the 200 block of S. Walnut Street, Pazols will host a drawing for a diamond pendant in sterling silver, which is a $150 value. Those entering must be 18 years of age and do not need to be present to win. No other purchase is necessary.

The Hayloft Boutique

There will be champagne, new arrivals and a 10-percent-off special on purchases at this country-inspired boutique.

Casa Del Sol parking lot

The Brigantine Band will be playing live from 5 to 8 p.m.

Heorot Pub and Draught House and Valhalla

On the 300 block of S. Walnut Street, there will be an opening exhibit with work from Casey Parmerlee and David Mitchell. Valhalla will have beer samples for those who have Soup Crawl tickets.

Amanda Kishel Photography

The studio will host Headshot Happy Hour, open to the public. Headshots are $35 per person for one session. The studio entrance is free for anyone not wanting a headshot.

Intersection of Walnut and Adams streets

DWNTWN Muncie is starting its “Meet the Originals” campaign. From 5 to 7 p.m., people can have their photo taken and share why they love downtown Muncie.

Toys Forever Model and Hobbies

There will be toy testing on the sidewalk in front of the store. There will be hands-on demonstrations of some of the items available from the store.

Heidi Hale Designs

Beginning at 5 p.m., the first 20 people who come in will receive $20 gift cards, as a celebration of Heidi Hale's one-year anniversary.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters will be joining to help raise awareness of its programs, with a portion of the evening’s sales being donated to the organization.

Also, for the month of October, Heidi Hale Designs will be promoting an event called "Monograms and Mammograms.” For every monogram necklace sold during the month of October, $5 will be donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

The Artist Within

“Muddy Knuckles,” an exhibit of potters from around the state, will be on display at the make-your-own pottery shop.

PrimeTrust Soup Crawl Information

Maps with participating locations will be available. Participating restaurants include: Amazing Joe’s Grill, Casa Del Sol, Courtyard Marriott, The Fickle Peach, Harvest Soup Kitchen, Horizon Convention Center, Chesterfields, Merks, Mulligans Grill, Fuji, New Corner Brewing Company, Olive Garden, Puerto Vallarta, Red Lobster, Texas Roadhouse, Prairie View Restaurant, Tuppee Tong Thai, Twin Archer, Vera Mae’s and VKA Kitchen.

YART

This guerrilla art sale in the parking lot of Old National Trust has the goal of making art affordable and accessible to the community. No YART art will be priced above $40. There will be over 100 artists in attendance.

Muncie Symphony Orchestra performance

The orchestra will be performing in the Mutual Bank parking lot, located in the 100 block of W. Charles Street. The cast of "Memphis" from the Muncie Civic Theatre will be performing a song from the show.

Twin Archer

There will be a pen and ink exhibition of work from the Ball State School of Art and Phillip Edward Linehan. Twin Archer Brewpub, located at 117 W. Charles St., will be across the street from the YART parking lot sale. It is an all-ages restaurant and bar that serves craft beer and food made with responsibly sourced ingredients.

The Caffeinery

The Caffeinery, located at 401 S. Walnut St., will host a fundraiser for “On the Mark, For the City” from 5 to 8 p.m.

“On the Mark, For the City” is a collaborative mural project that aims to harness the power of art and creativity to celebrate the diversity of the Muncie community. The mural will be painted on the south wall of the Mark III Taproom in spring 2017.

Members of the We’re Trying Collective, the team of artists behind the mural, will be onsite to talk about the project with community members. DJ Jannell will provide a steady soundtrack of eclectic tunes.

The Caffeinery will donate 10 percent of profits from the evening to the mural project. Any donations contributed will go toward designing and painting the mural, covering costs of supplies and equipment and providing a free mural painting workshop for the community.

Canan Commons

There will be a giant Lite Brite in addition to other kid’s activities, as well as live stage performances.

Muncie Makes Lab

The American Institute of Architecture Students at Ball State will host an exhibit and sale of student, faculty and staff artwork from the College of Architecture and Planning.

M n M: M (aking) and M (ateriality) ARCH Studio 301 will present the Makers in Muncie pop-up exhibit on the 100 block of E. Charles Street. This is a collection of six temporary installations telling stories about the “culture of making” in East Central Indiana, in celebration of Indiana’s 200th birthday.

The student publication of CAP, "Glue," will showcase its 12th-annual journal of student work and writing.

The Fickle Peach

There will be an opening exhibit of work by Sarojini Jha Johnson. An outdoor showing of Purple Rain will be hosted at 9:30 p.m. on the MutualBank wall.

Rose Court

Rose Court will exhibit the work of three artists. Andrea Swartz and Jennifer Smith will exhibit at the main floor atrium and Karen Moorman of Ada Rose Design will exhibit on the second floor balcony.

A sneak peek at downtown’s newest children’s clothing store, “Forever Young,” will be located in the old Hue Salon space.

Savages Ale House

Work from Mark Perretta will be hosted in an opening exhibit.

Dan’s Downtown Records

Dan's will be hosting an "old-school" vinyl record sale.

Studio Exhale

Studio Exhale will present “3 Transformed Stereotypes,” a three-woman collaborative exhibit with work by Debra Gindhart Dragoo, Alexx Sprong and Christine Abercrombie.

Hub Community Garden

Hientzelman Hardwood Flooring will give away free potted trees and Boy Scouts Pack 42 will be on hand with popcorn throughout the downtown area.

High St. United Methodist Church

The church will host “Exploring the King of Instruments,” showcasing the biggest musical instrument in Delaware County — an organ with 4,000 pipes from 1 to 32 feet long, weighing over 26,000 pounds and covering 1,500 square feet of massive sound. 

This will be a family-friendly multimedia presentation with short performances. 

The event will feature Ball State music performance instructor Raúl Prieto Ramírez and students from the organ studio.

Tuhey Park

There will be a dedication ceremony for Delaware County’s Public Art Project celebrating Indiana’s “Bison-tennial.” The ceremony will begin at 4 p.m., with remarks at 4:30 p.m.

Moore Youse Home Museum

The Delaware County Historical Society will host an exhibit on the art of Lola St. John.

Emily Kimbrough House

There will be an open house showcasing some local artists and their work.

Grace Episcopal Church

From 6 to 7 p.m., the church will host Edible Muncie in a workshop on local efforts to address food insecurity in Muncie.

At 7:30, Salvatore A. LaCascio will perform a concert, joined by Malissa Tong on piano and Kathleen Maurer singing soprano.

The art gallery will be open from 5 to 8:30 p.m. The church is located at the corner of Adams and Madison streets.