Women's golf hosts Cardinal Classic, finishes fourth

Kelsey Sear starts her second round at the first tee on the opening day of the Cardinal Classic at the Player’s Club on Sept. 19. The Ball State women’s golf team played its way into fourth place behind defending champion Eastern Kentucky and Toledo and Western Michigan in a tie for second. Grace Ramey // DN

Ball State scores

4. Ball State, 897 (+33): 300-296-301

T9. Sydney Anderson, 220 (+4): 69-73-78

T14. Morgan Nadaline, 224 (+8): 75-74-75

T19. Kelsey Sear, 226 (+10): 78-75-73

T27. Allison Lindley, 228 (+12): 78-74-76

T46. Manon Tounalom, 233 (+17): 78-78-77

T63. Kayla Adamson,* 238 (+22): 80-80-78

*Competed as an individual

No bags, no bus, no hotel.

Ball State women's golf finished fourth in the Cardinal Classic Sept. 20 in the only tournament the team will host all year.

Sophomore Sydney Anderson's family even made the 2-hour drive from Columbus, Indiana, because it's one of just two tournaments Ball State plays in the Hoosier state.

"One of my parents comes to every tournament, but this one was closer so they pulled my sisters out of school and brought them, which was nice to have them here," Anderson said.

Anderson led Ball State with a three-round score of 220 (4-over-par), tying for ninth place. She said her familiarity with Yorktown's the Players Club at Woodland Trails, where the tournament was held and where the Cardinals practice each week, helped her feel comfortable after a rough start in the third round.

"It helped a lot," she said. "Not having to worry about like, 'I wonder where the pitfalls are.' At this course, knowing them already just eliminated a whole 'nother side of worry."

Head coach Katherine Mowat, however, said playing at home has some pitfalls of its own.

"It's certainly an advantage when we're so familiar with the course, but what happens is there's just increased expectations and increased pressure," she said. "And that's not something we impose — it kind of naturally happens ... even if you think you've done it 1,000 times before, we just have to manage those expectations and emotions as best as possible."

Mowat said she was pleased to see Anderson finish so high on the leaderboard. Mowat also said she was impressed with the leadership she saw from senior Kelsey Sear.

Sear finished tied for 19th with a 10-over-par 226, but she climbed 15 spots on the leaderboard on the second day of the tournament, shooting one-over-par (73) in the final round. Like Anderson, she said playing on a familiar course kept her calm.

"It's pretty straightforward," she said. "We know the course so well, ... but I think we do have that confidence knowing that we've done this a million times so it's not that hard."

Fellow senior Allison Lindley finished two strokes behind with a 228 (10-over-par). She tied for 27th and said most of her teammates felt they could have done better.

"It was kind of a little steady, I mean obviously aside from [Anderson] — she was incredible her first two rounds yesterday," she said. "But I think overall, people wanted to see lower scores from themselves."

As a team, Ball State (+33) was fourth after the first round, fourth after the second and fourth after the third, one stroke ahead of fifth-place Bradley University. Though they didn't jump anyone on the leaderboards, Mowat said she liked the consistency — especially with five teams, including Bradley, posting sub-300 scores in the last round.

"We weren't making any advances on any teams," she said. "But to hold on our position I think in the end, based on what I saw a little while ago with the scores, that's all we can do is really just hang on and have a strong finish."

The Cardinals' next tournament is the Kzoo Classic, hosted by Western Michigan at the Moors Golf Club in Portage, Michigan, on Oct. 3 and 4.

But it'll just be another tournament on the road. This week in Yorktown, Mowat said, "was special."

"We love traveling," she said. "We do a lot of traveling, but when we can stay home, sleep in our own beds and go home to our own apartments at night — it's a different feel for them."