LAUREN'S LOOKBACK: Exercise your brain with 'The Great God Pan'

0

Lauren Hansen is a junior news track journalism major and writes "Lauren's Lookback" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Lauren at lahansen@bsu.edu

After seeing the Ball State Department of Theatre and Dance’s production of “The Great God Pan” Sept. 9, I didn’t walk away dramatically changed, picturing myself on Broadway or singing from the rooftops — I walked away thinking. This simple but dynamic play by Amy Herzog is performed in Strother Theater under the direction of associate professor, Karen Kessler.

Strother Theater’s walls and ceiling are lined with hanging pictures frames, and with common household objects hanging suspended inside them. The audience is split in two and each side sits facing each other, forcing us to analyze the humans sitting across from us until the play starts.

Lauren Hansen

“The Great God Pan” is an intellectually stimulating play because it is almost entirely progressed by dialogue. The story begins with a journalist in New York City, Jaime (Cody Alexander) who was just told by childhood friend, Frank (River Denman), that Frank’s dad may have sexually molested him when he was a boy. Jaime now is forced to analyze his childhood, which he can hardly remember, while juggling his pregnant girlfriend, Paige (Margaret Morgan), who is debating whether or not to keep their baby. Paige’s independent personality overwhelms Jaime as he tries to pry information from his parents, Doug (Paul Tavianini) and Cathy (Eva Patton), about what may have happened to him.

Alexander has an austere presence about him but plays out Jaime’s helplessly ordinary nature well. Morgan turns psychiatrist Paige into every woman’s queen with every snide remark and comeback toward Jaime about their problems. Several laughs and gasps were heard in the audience when she spoke. Watching Patton and Tavianini’s performances was effortlessly enjoyable. They embody everything you love and hate about parents. All actors took us into their character’s memories so fluently that it was easy to get lost in their worlds for eighty minutes of our Friday night.

Kessler’s signature direction puts the audience deep into their own mind. The ethereal transitions of strings and piano transported the audience through Jaime’s memories as he fights with Paige and squabbles with his distant parents. It is clear that each line bears an importance that is emphasized by their cleverly subtle movements.

The otherworldly lighting design reminds us that we are in Jaime’s mind and not simply watching his actions through the fourth wall. As I picked up fashion tips from Paige’s patient, Joelle (Annie Burnett), it was clear that the modern costumes represented each character’s lifestyle perfectly.

The play has no definite resolution as none of the characters seem to come to a conclusion in their problems, nor did the audience get to know what they were actually feeling sometimes. But that’s life, nothing seems definite and emotions are rarely considered “wrong” or “right.” This very wordy production highlights the brilliant skill of the performers.

You can catch “The Great God Pan” in Strother Theater September 13th through 17th at 7:30 p.m. For tickets call the box office at 765-285-8749 or order online at bsu.tix.com. They are $12 for Ball State students and $15 for the general public.