10th annual Living Lightly Fair pushes sustainable lifestyle

<p>Madi Vorva, the featured speaker at the 10th annual Living Lightly Fair at Minnetrista on Sept. 17, will present "Girl Scout Cookies and Conversation." Vorva will explain how she started the campaign to stop the Girl&nbsp;Scouts of America from using unsustainably sourced palm oil in its cookies. <em>Madi Vorva // Photo Provided</em></p>

Madi Vorva, the featured speaker at the 10th annual Living Lightly Fair at Minnetrista on Sept. 17, will present "Girl Scout Cookies and Conversation." Vorva will explain how she started the campaign to stop the Girl Scouts of America from using unsustainably sourced palm oil in its cookies. Madi Vorva // Photo Provided

For a full schedule of events, visit livinglightlyfair.org

The 10th annual Living Lightly Fair will be on Sept. 17 at Minnetrista from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Living Lightly is a free resource fair for sustainable lifestyles, held each September on the Minnetrista campus in Muncie, Indiana, according to livinglightlyfair.org. The event is aimed to educate East Central Indiana residents about practical ways to live more sustainably and save money and resources for themselves and future generations.

There are many activities to help participants learn how to live more sustainable lives. The fair will feature fun and educational activities for children, two sessions with Indiana state legislators and a documentary created by telecommunications students at Ball State.

In addition, the fair will feature over 40 different vendors, live music from bands like Tim Grimm and the Family Band and Jake Hendershot and the Vintage Reserves, three community book discussions and featured speakers.

One of the featured speakers is Madi Vorva, who was honored as a U.N. Forest Hero when she was 16 for leading an eight-year campaign to get the Girl Scouts to source responsible palm oil in their cookies. The campaign reached 10 million people, persuading the Girl Scouts of America to change its policy in 2011.

In Vorva’s speech “Girl Scout Cookies and Conservation,” she will go more into detail about her story. She will also lead an interactive session for kids at 2 p.m.

Other speakers will be talking about topics such as solar systems, climate change, beekeeping, a monarch butterfly garden and how Indiana legislators are working to make Indiana a greener state.

Minnetrista is within walking or biking distance from campus. There will also be a shuttle that leaves from the east side of the College of Architecture and Planning building starting at 9 a.m.