Muncie Origins: Local music venue home to music-loving culture

The bands Soul Low, Cocaine Culture and Setting Color performed on Aug. 26 at Be Here Now in the Village. Reagan Allen // DN

Editor's note: Muncie Origins is a Ball State Daily News series profiling various businesses that originated in Muncie. 

A building historically known for being home to Ball State's music-loving culture still stands tall in the Village. The venue was called Headliners through the '80s and '90s, then Speakeasy in the 2000s. 

Seven years ago, Whitney Lewis purchased the building with the opportunity to continue the tradition. 

Be Here Now DIY Music Venue & Craft Brew Bar is popular among students at Ball State. The bar has everything from comedy acts to local and touring bands and has even featured student performers.

The venue has seen acts such as Afroman, Summercamp, Walk The Moon, Mike Jones and more. 

“We consistently host acts who have seen success in their careers,” Lewis said.

Be Here Now has also hosted some of NPR’s featured albums of the month.

“Unfortunately, our younger crowd may not always be aware [of that] since it may not be mainstream radio success,” Lewis said.

Even though Be Here Now may not feature these “mainstream acts,” the venue is always bringing in different entertainment. 

Lewis receives 50 to 100 booking requests from performers weekly and said his reputation for treating his acts fairly is why he receives so many.

Derek Fischer, a Ball State graduate, performed at Be Here Now when he was a part of the Something Else sketch comedy club at Ball State. He was one of several of students to perform at the venue. He has been performing for a year, and the experience has improved his confidence. 

“He allowed a bunch of us while we were young and inexperienced with the comedy scene to prove we had the drive and supported us when we needed help,” Fischer said.

Lewis gave Fischer the chance to organize his own shows and do charity events, and in turn, Something Else earned credit and the popularity to gain more gigs. Through these performances, friendships and fans have been made. 

“The crowd at BHN is just the nicest group of people,” Fischer said.

The audience always wants to know about the performers' craft, Fischer said. No matter the size of the audience, there are always people willing to make conversation. 

Be Here Now always features acts three to four nights a week, and the schedule can be found on their website. There are weekly drink deals offered as well. 

From the acts, to the regulars, to the different crowds that come on a nightly basis, there is always something new to see or do. The venue even has an arcade. For all things entertainment, Be Here Now is a destination among Ball State students. 

“Really, it is the best place to go if you want to see something new each night, week or year,” Fischer said.