Your complete guide to Family Weekend

This year’s Family Weekend is Sept. 16-18, and the schedule is packed with events for students and families to attend. Here is your complete guide to all things Family Weekend — what to do, where to go and places to eat. 

WHAT TO DO:

Friday

T-shirt Sale

T-shirts will be on sale all weekend at the information desk in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center. The shirts are red and short-sleeved and are $10.

Open Recreation

All day Sept. 16 and Sept. 17, the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center will be open to families for open recreation. Families can come check out the track, fitness rooms, basketball courts, turf field and rock climbing wall.

ChirpFest

Starting at 6 p.m. and going until midnight, ChipFest will be going on in the Village. This EDM and hip-hop music festival will feature acts like Borderlinze feat. Verr, Jimmy Coop, Dubknight and more.

Friday Night Filmworks: "Finding Dory"

"Finding Dory" will play for free at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. in Pruis Hall. Families are welcome to come watch the Disney Pixar summer hit and sequel to "Finding Nemo."

Michael Carbonaro

TruTV's Michael Carbonaro from "The Carbonaro Effect" will be putting on his magic show, ‘Carbonaro Live!' in John R. Emens Auditorium. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. and will be packed with comedy and audience interaction. Tickets are available on Ticketmaster and by calling or visiting the Emens box office.

School of Music Showcase

The School of Music will present their annual showcase in Sursa Performance Hall at 7:30 p.m. The showcase will include wind, orchestra and chamber music as well as a performance by the Pride of Mid America Marching Band. Admission is $20 and will go toward School of Music scholarships.

Rock and Bowl

At 8 p.m. at Cardinal Lanes in the Student Center, families can participate in free cosmic bowling. There will also be free snacks available while supplies last. Billiards will be free to play.

Saturday

Chase Charlie 5K Run/Walk

Family members of all ages can participate in the Sport Administration Program's 15th annual Chase Charlie race. The 5K is open to adults, a Mile Mania race is open to those 13 and under and a Kiddie 100 for younger children will take place at halftime of the football game. Registration for the races begin at 7 a.m. and races start at 8 a.m.

Children's Fair and Bingo

From 9-11 a.m. on the University Green, families can join in on inflatables and carnival games, such as skee ball and pick-a-pop. Attendees will also have the chance to win several prizes in a game of bingo.

Brother's Breakfast Club

Brother's Bar and Grill, located in the Village, will host their first Breakfast Club of the school year from 9 to 11 a.m. There is no cover charge, but customers must be 21 or come with a parent. Customers can get a breakfast plate, complete with scrambled eggs, pancakes and your choice of bacon or sausage for $5.

Rinard Orchid Greenhouse

Open from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m., the greenhouse will be open and displaying a variety of tropical plants as part of their Wheeler-Thanhauser Collection. There will also be tropical poison arcol-sm-12 frogs displays as part of the rainforest conservation initiative.

Christy Woods

From 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Sept. 17 and Sept. 18, students and families can explore the 17-acre woods located at the edge of campus, which regularly serve as a teaching laboratory.

Bell Tower Recital

Students and families can take advantage of this opportunity to take a tour of the inside of the Bell Tower and get a unique view of campus. There will also be a recital at the base of the tower, performed by John Gouwens.

Tailgating

Beginning at 11 a.m., take advantage of free tailgating before the first home football game of the season against Eastern Kentucky.

Five Dollar Family Fest

At noon, students and families can grab lunch in The Buff, located in Lafollette Square, for $5 meals. though students with meal plans can use their meal swipe.

Football Game

Kick off is at 3 p.m. for the first home game of the season against Eastern Kentucky. Tickets can be purchased through the Athletics Ticket Office.

ABSO Free Show

ABSO Improv Comedy group is celebrating their 25th anniversary and will be hosting two free shows on Sept. 17 in Pruis Hall. The first show at 7 p.m. will be a family-friendly performance. The 9 p.m. show will be a mature, or "blue," show.

Late Nite

This weekend's Late Nite is open to all ages. Running from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. in the Student Center, Late Nite will feature DJs, inflatables, crafts, free food and bowling.

Corey Cox

Fresh off a performance with Toby Keith, the up-and-coming country music artist will make a return to perform at The Chug on Sept. 17 at 11 p.m. The show is free but you must be 21 with a valid ID to get in.

Sunday

Breakfast with Charlie

Starting at 9 a.m. in Noyer Dining, Charlie will be having breakfast with students and families as well as taking pictures. Students with a meal plan can bring two guests with their breakfast swipe. All other guests are $9.95 plus tax or $6.95 for children between the ages of 2 and 10.

Golf Outing

Starting at 9 a.m. at Elks Golf Course in Muncie, families can participate in a golf outing with breakfast and lunch provided. The cost is $50 per person and includes the round of golf, green fees, a golf cart, free range balls and breakfast and lunch.

Community Day

Take the family to the David Owsley Museum of Art on campus for free food, demonstrations and, of course, art.

WHERE TO GO:

If you're looking to do something off campus with the family, check out some of these places to explore around Muncie.

Minnetrista

1200 N Minnetrista Parkway

Located right off campus, Minnetrista has farmers markets every Saturday through October from 8 a.m. until noon. Take the family to explore the Heritage Collection, which has artifacts of East Central Indiana, or take a look around the gardens and visit the Orchard Gift Shop.

White Rabbit Books

1604 W University Ave.

This used bookstore located in the Village has a wide selection of books in several different genres. With its homey feel and friendly staff, White Rabbit is one stop your family won't want to miss.

Made in Muncie

313 S Walnut St.

If your family wants to get crafty, take them to Made in Muncie. Located in downtown Muncie, customers can choose a piece of pottery and paint and decorate it however they want. Walk-ins are welcome, and they fire your piece for you — you'll just have to go pick it up later.

WHERE TO EAT:

Concannon's

4801 W. Baker Lane
620 North Walnut Street

Whether you're looking for a sweet treat or a cafe for lunch, Concannon's is the place for you. Concannon's has been a staple in the Muncie community since 1959.

Cammack Station

9200 W. Jackson St.

Located on W. Jackson St., Cammack Station is in a remodeled, historic fuel station. The '50s feel, plus a large menu of options, means there's something for everyone. Their ‘burger of the month' for September is the “Porky Pig,” which comes with bacon, shoestring onions, pulled pork and barbecue.

Scotty's Brewhouse

1700 W. University Ave.

If you're looking to stay close to campus, take the family to Scotty's Brewhouse. Located in the Village, Scotty's has a wide selection of both food and drinks. Don't miss their classic thr3e wise men seasoned potato chips.

The Island

400 W McGalliard Road

Treat the family to a cool treat at The Island. The smoothie and ice cream stand serves as a local oasis, complete with a waterfall, palm trees, lawn chairs and sand. Located just of the Cardinal Greenway on McGalliard Rd, The Island will only be open for a few more weeks before it closes for the season. The shop is only open from 5 p.m. until dark.