Ball State women's volleyball begins MAC play with win

Ball State's women's volleyball team breaks up the huddle at the start of game against Valparaiso on Sept. 16 at John E. Worthen Arena. Kyle Crawford // DN

Match statistics 

Sabrina Mangapora: 16 kills

Amber Seamen: 57 assists

Avery Devoe: 5 total blocks

Kate Avila: 22 digs

The Ball State women's volleyball team closed out the fifth set on a 4-0 run to defeat the Central Michigan Chippewas three sets to two (28-26, 25-21, 23-25, 21-25, 15-11).

The Cardinals began conference play on a high note to improve to 5-10 on the season.

"I knew our team needed a bit of a lift and an energy booster, I came in and I was focused,” said sophomore defensive specialist Lauren Schreiner. “I was able to move them short and deep a little bit and I think that threw them off balance.”

After nine tie scores and four lead changes in the fifth set alone, the Cardinals took the lead for good once Schreiner had the ball in her hand to serve.

The Cardinals took the first two sets but the Chippewas answered right back with two set wins of their own. Ball State head coach Kelli Miller said a game of runs like this could really make or break a team.

"Our whole goal is to play consistent, and when you let teams get runs of points on you, you’re not doing something consistently well,” Miller said. “But when you’re on the receiving end of those runs, it’s a pretty good deal.”

Sophomore outside hitter Brooklyn Goodsel was all over the court with 20 kills, 11 digs and 22 total points. Goodsel said it’s important for her to play a huge role for the team in all aspects of the game.

“I just try to be balanced on both offense and defense,” said Goodsel. “I want to be able to contribute to all aspects and I think I did a good job of that today.”

Junior outside hitter Sabrina Mangapora also led the Cardinals with 16 kills. Freshman setter Amber Seaman had 57 assists and freshman defensive specialist Kate Avila added 22 digs.

Ball State (5-10, 1-0) will remain at home as conference play continues when the Cardinals face Eastern Michigan (6-8, 1-0) Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. in Worthen Arena.