Welcome Week: List of events

<p>The Department of Counseling Psychology and Guidance Services is now the Department of Counseling Psychology, Social Psychology and Counseling and&nbsp;Health Science and Nutrition merged to form a new department. The name changes were approved on July 22 by the Board of Trustees. <em>Samantha Brammer // DN File&nbsp;</em></p>

The Department of Counseling Psychology and Guidance Services is now the Department of Counseling Psychology, Social Psychology and Counseling and Health Science and Nutrition merged to form a new department. The name changes were approved on July 22 by the Board of Trustees. Samantha Brammer // DN File 

You can view the full Welcome Week Schedule here

“Welcome Week is a great opportunity to acclimate our new, incoming students to campus," said Lindsey Speer, associate director of admissions. "We want them to learn about the wonderful opportunities and resources available to them, become familiar with our campus and comfortable during their first week of classes. It’s also a great opportunity to welcome back all of our students to campus and get them excited for another academic year.”

Here are some events of Welcome Week:

Thursday, Aug. 18

UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES INFORMATION TABLE

Location: Bracken Library, Main Lobby

All day, students can go to the Bracken Library Main Lobby to learn about the University Libraries’ services, including print and online resources. Library personnel will be present to answer questions about resources, services and employment opportunities. Students who show up between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on the north side of the library can receive free items like buttons while supplies last.

STUDENT CENTER POSTER SALE

Location: L.A. Pittenger Student Center, Front Lawn

When: 9 a.m.- 6 p.m.

COUNSELING CENTER RESOURCE FAIR

Location: Art and Journalism Building, The Atrium

When: 2- 4 p.m.

“At our tabling event, we have information about a variety of mental health topics such as anxiety, depression, sleep problems, post-traumatic stress disorder, career exploration and much more. Students can pick up pamphlets on these topics as well as a free stress ball with the Counseling Center’s information printed on it,” said Ellen Lucas, associate director of the Counseling Center.

BALL STATE ATHLETICS: CHIRP! CHIRP!

Location: Worthen Arena

When: 9 p.m.

The Ball State cheerleaders, Code Red Dance Team, Pride of Mid-America Marching Band and Charlie Cardinal will lead the cheers and teach you the fight song, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. Students will get a 2016-17 spirit shirt, among other prizes, and one lucky freshman will earn the opportunity to shoot a half-court shot to win free tuition for the 2017 spring semester.

BALL STATE BACK TO COLLEGE EVENT

Location: Meijer.

When: 10 p.m.- 1 a.m.

Meijer Mania features free food, samples and much more.

Friday, Aug. 19

WELCOME WEEK SERVICE PROJECT

Location: L.A. Pittenger Student Center, Room SC 136

When: 8-11:30 a.m.

Continue a tradition or start a new tradition of service by participating in the ninth annual Welcome Week Service Project, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. Participants can join other new students as they begin their Ball State experience giving back to the local community. Free T-shirts will be provided.

SPIRITUAL LIFE FAIR

When: 11 a.m.- 2 p.m.

This fair will feature a variety of Ball State student organizations that focus on spiritual and religious life on campus, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. Students will be able to meet leaders of these groups and collect information on their activities and events.

OFF-CAMPUS JOB FAIR

Location: University Green (rain location: Bracken Library, Schwartz Lobby)

When: 12- 3 p.m.

“This event on Friday is showcasing the work the Career Center does with local Muncie employers to make it easy for students to learn about job opportunities that are off campus,” said James Mitchell, associate director of the Career Center said. “We are scheduled to have 11 employers at the event from a variety of industries, including retail, food service, health and administrative. ... Professional dress is not required, but students may want to be mindful of how they present themselves—first impressions can go a long way to making or breaking a job application.”

HYPNOTIST DAN LAROSA

Location: John R. Emens Auditorium

When: 9-10:30 p.m.

“[LaRosa] always fills Emens Auditorium, and he’s been coming to campus for over 20 years. He’s a tradition and staple to Welcome Week,” Speer said. “[He] puts on a great show, even if you aren’t selected to be on stage hypnotized. Watching students in hypnosis is quite entertaining."

Saturday, Aug. 20

BAR-B-CRU

Location: The Quad (weather permitting)

When: 3-6 p.m.

A huge, free cookout to welcome new students to campus, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. There will be lots of free food, games and ways for students to make new friends and learn more about Cru.

ACTIVITY FAIR

Location: Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Field Sports Gymnasium

When: 6-8 p.m.

The annual student organization fair gives students a taste of just how vibrant and exciting life beyond the classroom is at Ball State, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. With hundreds of student organizations on site and clamoring to attract new members, students find there are so many great student groups on campus.

LATE NITE @ BALL STATE PRESENTS “THE BEST PARTY ON CAMPUS!”

Location: L.A. Pittenger Student Center

When: 9 pm. - 1 a.m.

Come out to the best party on campus and enjoy free food (BBQ), DJ dance party, movies, live entertainment, cosmic bowling, inflatable games, Rock Climbing Wall and so much more, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. Late Nite is free with your Ball State ID card.

Sunday, Aug. 21

FTKARNIVAL

Location: University Green

When: 10 a.m - 1 p.m.

This is fun-filled welcome-back carnival, introducing people to the world of Ball State University Dance Marathon (BSUDM), according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. Attendees will have the opportunity to play games, win prizes, buy merchandise and meet the Executive Board and committee members that make up BSUDM.

FRESHMAN CONVOCATION (MANDATORY)

Location: Worthen Arena

When: 1:45-3 p.m.

“Freshman Convocation formally welcomes freshmen to the beginning of their academic career and introduces them to Ball State’s community involvement and its student-centered commitment to its newest members in the community of learners,” Speer said. “In assembling with faculty, staff and administrators, the freshmen gain a sense of identity that more deeply connects them to each other and to the university.”.

Monday, Aug. 22

SCRAMBLE SNACKS

Location: Scramble Light (McKinley and Riverside Avenues)

When: 10 a.m.- 2 p.m.

Stop by the Scramble Light to grab some free treats courtesy of the University Program Board.

Tuesday, Aug. 23

SOCIAL MEDIA CHALLENGES

Location: Scramble Light

When: 11 a.m.- 3 p.m.

FRATERNITY TAILGATE

Location: Parking lot by the Student Center bus stop

When: 3-5 p.m.

Members of Ball State’s 13 Interfraternity Council chapters will be playing yard games and serving free food, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. Men interested in joining are encouraged to come meet the chapters.

INDIVIDUAL DIETARY NEEDS MEETING

Location: The Atrium’s Studio Room

When: 6-7 p.m.

“Dining’s annual Individual Dietary Needs Meeting is an opportunity for students with food allergies, Celiac Disease or other dietary needs to meet with our chefs, managers and myself to learn about navigating campus; including how customizable options make it easy to meet most dietary needs,” Amanda Kruse, wellness nutritionist, said. “One-on-one appointments are also available. It’s important to note that while all guests have access to specialty offerings, such as gluten-free bread, additional resources are available to students with medically-documented conditions.”

Wednesday, Aug. 24

IT’S ALL GREEK TO ME: FRATERNITY AND SORORITY INFORMATIONAL

Location: Pruis Hall

When: 11 a.m.- 2 p.m.

WELCOME BACK BASH

Location: Student Center, Cardinal Lanes

When: 7-11 p.m.

There will be free cosmic bowling, billiards and gaming. While you’re here, enjoy free popcorn and soda, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. There will be many surprises during the night.

Thursday, Aug. 25

MEET THE GREEKS

Location: University Green

When: 4-6 p.m.

COMMUNICATIONS LIVING-LEARNING COMMUNITY KICK OFF

Location: Botsford-Swinford Hall, Multipurpose Room

When: 4:30-7 p.m.

Join faculty and students from the College of Communication, Information and Media to learn more about the Communications Living-Learning Community, how to be involved and the great opportunities especially available to members of the community, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. Students can enjoy the picnic, win a prize and take advantage of this opportunity to meet college deans and faculty in your field of study.

OPEN MIC NIGHT

Location: Art and Journalism Building Patio

When: 9-11 p.m.

Friday, Aug. 26

MULTICULTURAL CENTER WELCOME CELEBRATION

Location: Student Center Ballroom

When: 4-6 p.m.

QUAD BASH

Location: The Quad (rain location: Pruis Hall)

When: 6-11 p.m.

Join everyone on the Quad for games, a live musical performance and, of course, tons of free food, according to bsu.collegiatelink.net. Once the stars come out, stick around for the first Friday Night Filmworks screening of the semester: "Captain America: Civil War."

Saturday, Aug. 27

FREE 6-ON-6 GIANT VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT

Location: Rec center gymnasium

When: 12 p.m.