Jim Davis prepares for 1st classes; will be announced in fall

<p>Ball State alum and creator of "Garfield," Jim Davis, will be hosting guest lectures and appearing in other classrooms before he begins teaching his own class on campus.&nbsp;<em>CURTIS SILVEY // DN File&nbsp;</em></p>

Ball State alum and creator of "Garfield," Jim Davis, will be hosting guest lectures and appearing in other classrooms before he begins teaching his own class on campus. CURTIS SILVEY // DN File 

Jim Davis hasn't started teaching any classes yet, but the creator of Garfield is already getting settled in at the university and preparing for his first semester as a teacher.

Although he will not be a professor with regularly scheduled courses, Davis said he plans on holding guest lectures and helping with other course instruction when he's needed. The dates of his lessons, Davis said, will be announced by the art department in early October. 

“It’s nice to get back. I’ve always enjoyed the university,” Davis said. "I’ve always liked being around the people and it’s just fun."

Davis is a graduate of the Ball State Class of 1967 and started cartooning for the Daily News when he was an undergraduate. For the first three years of his study at the university, Davis was studying to become an art teacher, since teaching was the only profession you could go into at the time if you wanted to be an art major, he said. During his fourth year, though, Davis said he switched his major to business to ensure he would be able to have the skills he needed to move forward with his work.

Although a renowned artist and cartoonist, Davis said he hopes to have students teach him more than he teaches the students, making for a more collaborative classroom setting. 

“I’m working with an analog cat in a digital age, so it’s time to go back to school and find out what’s going on,” Davis said. “Quite frankly, it’s all going to revolve around just simply standing at an easel with a marker and a big pad of paper.”

Arne Flaten, the director of the school of art, presented Davis with the opportunity to teach at his alma mater during a tour of the art department last year. During the conversation, Davis said he toggled with the idea of teaching, and once it was officially offered to him, Davis jumped on the opportunity to come back to Ball State. 

Although Davis has never taught a class before, there are already students interested in signing up for his courses. Sophomore animation major Darian Jones, who said he admires Davis and his work, is already making plans on attending lessons Davis is teaching.

“I’m hoping to pick up a bunch of pointers about the proper way to animate and the proper way to bring life [to artwork],” Jones said. “I don’t know that I’d be able to ask him just one question.”

Fellow sophomore animation major Rowan Mayo is also excited to see someone as famous as Davis on campus, she said.

“I’m stoked,” Mayo said. “I remember going to the Muncie Children’s Museum all the time and looking at the Garfield exhibits.”

Davis doesn't want his popularity or skills to be the only reasons students are in his classes, however. Aside from instructing students how to be visual storytellers, Davis said he also wants to help students decide whether a career in art is right for them. 

“Hopefully [the lectures] will help those who maybe are interested in doing something that I’m doing or around what I’m doing to be able to make a determination that yes, in fact, that’s something they would like to pursue, or be grateful that they now realize this is not anything they want to be involved with,” Davis said.

Of course, Jim Davis won’t teach cartooning without involving Garfield. The lazy orange cat will make frequent appearances during Davis’ lectures. Garfield is so famous that Davis even considers himself to work under the cartoon kitty.

“Yeah, I guess I really work for a cat,” Davis said. “Really, he’s the famous one, not me."