Students remember Gene Wilder, star of 'Willy Wonka'

Gene Wilder in Amsterdam 
*6 maart 1978
Gene Wilder in Amsterdam *6 maart 1978

Gene Wilder's Accomplishments

Academy Awards

Nominated 1969: Best Actor in a Supporting Role, "The Producers"

Nominated 1975: Best Writing, Screenplay Adapted from Other Material, "Young Frankenstein"

Golden Globes

Nominated 1972: Best Actor in a Motion Picture — Comedy or Musical, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"

Nominated 1977: Best Actor in a Motion Picture — Comedy or Musical, "Silver Streak"

Primetime Emmy Awards

Won 2003: Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series, "Will and Grace"

Info from imdb.com

Actor and comedian Gene Wilder died Aug. 29 at the age of 83. His family confirmed he died from complications from Alzheimer’s disease.

Wilder was best known for his roles in “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” and “Blazing Saddles.” A two-time Oscar nominee, he also starred in several Mel Brooks comedies such as “Young Frankenstein” and “The Producers.”

Wilder is remembered for his talent, by students who grew up watching his films. 

Taylor Haney, a freshman biology major with a concentration in zoology, said "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" was her favorite movie.

“[Wilder]'s just really good and I love his songs he sings in it,” she said.

For Connor Walsh, a freshman history major, the world of Wonka is close to his heart. A big fan of the book, he even acted in his fifth grade play as Mike Teavee. His school’s play was largely modeled after the Wilder film.

Walsh has seen many of Wilder’s films, but thinks Wonka was his most significant role.

“While I watched both the Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp versions, I felt that Gene captured and performed the character Willy Wonka a lot better,” Walsh said. “[Wilder] felt less tacky and more warm than Depp. The movie itself was brilliant and taught younger people to be silly yet to have morals, without shoving it all in your face like the remake did.”

Wilder was born June 11, 1933 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He wanted to begin acting after he saw his sister perform at the age of 11. 

He began studying at 12, and his first performance was as Balthasar in “Romeo and Juliet” when he was 15.

He earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa, and learned acting technique and fencing at the Old Vic Theater school in Bristol, England. He taught fencing while studying under Lee Strasberg.

During the course of his life, he was married four times; his last was to Karen Webb in 1991. He has one daughter, Katherine Wilder, whom he adopted in 1967 after she began calling him “dad.” He married his second wife, Mary Joan Schutz, the same year.

After his third wife, Gilda Radner, died from complications from ovarian cancer in 1989, Wilder started promoting cancer awareness and treatment. 

He helped found the Gilda Radner Ovarian Cancer Detection Center in Los Angeles, as well as Gilda’s Club, a support group.

Several celebrities have also expressed their feelings on Twitter. Rob Lowe called Wilder one of his earliest heroes. Mel Brooks also commented on the passing.

“Gene Wilder-One of the truly great talents of our time. He blessed every film we did with his magic [and] he blessed me with his friendship,” wrote Brooks.