Muncie swimmer makes US Paralympic Team

<p>Swimmer Elizabeth Smith (third from left), a graduate of Muncie Central High School, qualified for the Paralympics in four events during the Paralympic Trials in Charlotte, North Carolina.&nbsp;The Paralympics will be in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from September 7-18. <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF TEAMUSA.ORG</em></p>

Swimmer Elizabeth Smith (third from left), a graduate of Muncie Central High School, qualified for the Paralympics in four events during the Paralympic Trials in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Paralympics will be in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from September 7-18. PHOTO COURTESY OF TEAMUSA.ORG

Elizabeth Smith at Paralympic Trials

First place, 100m butterfly multi-class S9, 1:10.62 (qualified for Rio)

Second place, 100m breaststroke multi-class SB9, 1:32.37 (qualified for Rio)

Second place, 100m backstroke multi-class S9, 1:14.61 (qualified for Rio)

Fourth place, 100m freestyle multi-class S9, 1:07.63 (qualified for Rio)

Swimmer Elizabeth Smith, a graduate of Muncie Central High School, qualified for the Paralympics in four events during the Paralympic Trials in Charlotte, North Carolina, this weekend.

Smith, who now trains at Loyola University Maryland in Baltimore, finished first in the 100m butterfly with a time of 1:10.62.

She also finished second in both the 100m breaststroke and backstroke with times of 1:32.37 and 1:14.61, respectively, qualifying for the Paralympics in both events.

Her time of 1:07.63 in the 100m freestyle was good for fourth and also fast enough to qualify for the Paralympics.

Smith also holds three American Paralympic long-course records — the 50m, 100m and 200m butterfly — and finished second in the 100m butterfly at the 2015 International Paralympic Committee World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland.

Smith competes under the S9 and SB9 classifications. According to paralympic.org, the official website of the International Paralympic Committee, classes are numbered 1-10, so a lower class like S5 "indicates a more severe activity limitation" than S9.

The Paralympics will be in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from September 7-18.